CatBanter

-   -   A question about feeding canned food... (http://www.catbanter.com/showthread.php?t=19414)

SummerC September 3rd 04 07:56 PM

A question about feeding canned food...

Hi again,

I've spoken to my vet about Cilla ("Horrible Pet Owner" post) and she has
recommended a completely canned diet for Cilla. I don't really think it
will be that difficult to convert her...she loves her wet food and only
picks at the dry. The wet food we give her comes in pouches that are 100g
each. As of today we are feeding her twice a day to coincide with her
antibiotics. Is this enough?? The box says it should be 4 pouches which
seems like quite a lot to me!! Any ideas?

Thanks
Summer

Luvskats00 September 3rd 04 10:20 PM

"SummerC" , writes

I've spoken to my vet about Cilla ... she has
recommended a completely canned diet for Cilla.

From my experience having cats for 20+ years and being a veterinary assistant
for 5.....cats need canned & dry. The dry helps keep the teeth
strong(er)....one must monitor kitties dental health as a normal part of
things.

kaeli September 7th 04 02:45 PM

In article ,
enlightened us with...
"SummerC"
, writes

I've spoken to my vet about Cilla ... she has
recommended a completely canned diet for Cilla.

From my experience having cats for 20+ years and being a veterinary assistant
for 5.....cats need canned & dry. The dry helps keep the teeth
strong(er)....one must monitor kitties dental health as a normal part of
things.

How do you get them to eat enough wet when they prefer the dry and will only
eat the wet when no dry is available?

I'm trying to convert my cats to a wet food diet, and they're not overly
thrilled with me ATM. If I give them any dry, they don't eat the wet. I worry
about their kidneys and urinary tract, especially as I've lost 3 cats to
problems from bladder stones, kidney stones, and kidney failure at relatively
young ages. I blame the all-dry diet, now that I've read so much about it.

I do brush their teeth and keep tartar to a minimum.

I'd be happy to give them a mix if they'd EAT it. *heh*

~kaeli~
A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless
interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an
otherwise dull day.
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace

Steve G September 8th 04 12:32 AM

kaeli wrote in message . ..
(...)

How do you get them to eat enough wet when they prefer the dry and will only
eat the wet when no dry is available?

Don't give 'em dry until they've scoffed the wet? The dry can be a
sort of crunchy dessert, a bit like chocolate coated peanuts, sans
chocolate and peanuts.

Steve.

jamie September 8th 04 07:12 AM

Steve G wrote:
kaeli wrote in message . ..
(...)

How do you get them to eat enough wet when they prefer the dry and will only
eat the wet when no dry is available?

Don't give 'em dry until they've scoffed the wet? The dry can be a
sort of crunchy dessert, a bit like chocolate coated peanuts, sans
chocolate and peanuts.

I had to switch my two to canned when one was diagnosed diabetic
in January. They would still hang around where the dry cannister
was in the kitchen, begging. I started giving them each a heaping
tablespoon of Purina diabetic dry as a snack in the evening, but
the rest of the time, they don't get any dry.

--
jamie )

"There's a seeker born every minute."