CatBanter

-   -   There was no hurricane in the UK (http://www.catbanter.com/showthread.php?t=110178)

John Ross Mc Master October 28th 13 11:50 PM

There was no hurricane in the UK

From the BBC so it must be the truth

BBC weather forecaster Michael Fish was left famously red-faced when,
on the eve of the Great Storm of 1987, he assured the British public
there would be no "hurricane".

Though he failed to predict a ferocious storm was about to turn north
and hit the UK, he was correct on the hurricane point.

Britain cannot experience hurricanes - the word is used for tropical
cyclones when they form in the Atlantic and north-east Pacific.

These are low pressure systems which develop over tropical or
sub-tropical waters - not the cold waters around Britain - which
become "cyclones" once wind speeds reach 74mph (119km/h).

If a hurricane did head for Britain it would be reclassified as an
"extra tropical storm" before arriving.

Such storms can be powerful - but even if the winds exceeded 74mph it
would not be called a hurricane.

In any case the storm currently expected to hit the UK is no such
thing. Far from forming over warm waters, it is expected to form close
to the coast before hitting the South West and heading across the
country.

Cheryl[_3_] October 29th 13 12:39 AM

There was no hurricane in the UK

On 10/28/2013 7:50 PM, John Ross Mc Master wrote:
From the BBC so it must be the truth

[...]

I only just heard about this powerful storm today. I hope all of my
Brit friends and pets are ok and safe!

--
CAPSLOCK–Preventing Login Since 1980.

John F. Eldredge October 29th 13 02:49 AM

There was no hurricane in the UK

On Mon, 28 Oct 2013 16:50:49 -0700, John Ross Mc Master wrote:

From the BBC so it must be the truth

[...]

So, if a tropical storm forms over the Atlantic, grows to have winds
strong enough to classify it as a hurricane, and the winds were still
moving at hurricane speeds when it reaches Britain, it would not be
classed as a hurricane? The usage in America is to continue to call such
a storm a hurricane as long as the winds are above 74 mph.

--
John F. Eldredge --
"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that.

Christina Websell October 29th 13 06:26 PM

There was no hurricane in the UK

"John Ross Mc Master" wrote in message
From the BBC so it must be the truth

[...]

The Beaufort scale classifies 74 mph+ wind speeds as "hurricane force" so
as far as I am concerned we had a hurricane.

Joy October 29th 13 06:39 PM

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"John Ross Mc Master" wrote in message
From the BBC so it must be the truth

[...]

I'm sure that everybody who experienced it, even on the fringes, would agree
with you.

--
Joy

Lovely river gum
Spreading by dry river bed
Calls out to my soul.
-- Australia Haiku by Joy Gaylord

jmcquown[_2_] October 29th 13 07:24 PM

On 10/29/2013 2:39 PM, Joy wrote:
"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"John Ross Mc Master" wrote in message
From the BBC so it must be the truth

[...]

I have to wonder about eople who snicker at 75-80MPH winds. Trust me,
you don't want to be outside (much less on a beach) when the wind is
blowing that hard. Perhaps a better term would be gale force wind. I
wouldn't be outside in that, either.

Jill ---who lives in a U.S. hurricane area

Christina Websell October 29th 13 08:02 PM

"jmcquown" wrote in message
On 10/29/2013 2:39 PM, Joy wrote:
"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"John Ross Mc Master" wrote in message
From the BBC so it must be the truth

[...]

It was not a gale force wind (google for Beaufort Scale of wind speeds)
It was a ** expletive hurricane ( unless there is a difference between
hurricane force winds and a hurricane.}
Whatever, some Brits have died in this "not a hurricane"

Tweed

EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) October 29th 13 08:15 PM

jmcquown wrote:

I have to wonder about eople who snicker at 75-80MPH winds. Trust me,
you don't want to be outside (much less on a beach) when the wind is
blowing that hard. Perhaps a better term would be gale force wind. I
wouldn't be outside in that, either.

Jill ---who lives in a U.S. hurricane area

CBS News last night showed a segment from Brussels where people were
actually being knocked over by the high winds! (That's a pretty bad
storm, what does it matter what you call it?)

Joy October 29th 13 10:36 PM

"jmcquown" wrote in message
On 10/29/2013 2:39 PM, Joy wrote:
"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"John Ross Mc Master" wrote in message
From the BBC so it must be the truth

[...]

I agree. I've never experienced wind that strong, and hope I never do. I
live in Southern California, where our Santa Ana winds sometimes get up to
50 MPH. That's more than enough wind for me, thank you. Aside from
everything else, wind exacerbates my allergies, and, more important, the
cats hate it.

Joy

jmcquown[_2_] October 29th 13 11:53 PM

"jmcquown" wrote in message
On 10/29/2013 2:39 PM, Joy wrote:
"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"John Ross Mc Master" wrote in message
From the BBC so it must be the truth

[...]

Why are you being so contrary? I was agreeing with you. Gale force is
quite high winds. We have a different scale in the US for hurricanes.
But windspeed is windspeed. 80MPH isn't anything to snicker about.

Jill