CatBanter

-   Cats - misc (http://www.catbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   How to tell the owners the tragic news? (http://www.catbanter.com/showthread.php?t=21362)

Gee April 27th 04 05:12 AM

How to tell the owners the tragic news?

Hi, I need some urgent advice please.

About 10 days ago I saw a beautiful cat get run over and took it to
emergency vet. The cat unfortunately died probably immediately. She had no
ID tags/microchip so we were unable to contact the owner, but I told the
local vets in case anyone enquires.

However, I went out tonight and found the posters about a lost cat and it is
the beautiful one I saw run over. I couldn;t bring myself to call the owners
with such news at 2am, so will call them tomorrow.

So, the question is, how do I tell the owners? They obviously loved this
cat, and will be gobsmecked when they hear the news. Do I tell them over the
phone or ask them to meet me locally(we seem to be in same neighborhood)
then tell them? Would that sound strange to them? I would also hate them to
think that I was the one to run her over, when I just tried to help. I know
I know I am being paranoid, but I hate to bring this people such pain. I
lost my QT the same way 5 years ago, and I know how I felt for years after.
I know I can;t make it any easier for the owners, I just don't want them to
get a heart attack or something.

What would you do? Please write ASAP, as I must call them tomorrow(later
today - it's now 5am here).

Thanks for any advice

Gee

Gee April 27th 04 02:24 PM

Hi guys, just the update on previous post:

I have tried calling the owners early this morning and got the answering
machine which stated it was a so and so company. I found company site on the
internet and somewhere on their site they mentioned the office dog - and a
cat... It was the girl I found. Their address was also next to the road
where she was killed so I knew it has to be her.

So I went there just now. I told a sweet lady about what happened. Kitty was
only 1-2 years old, a local stray they found and took in. She belonged to
all in office and they were very sad but in a way happy to know what has
happened and that she didn;t suffer. I left them my number and ask them to
call me if they wanna talk, as I explained about my QT.

She will be missed.

Gee