CatBanter

-   -   r.p.c.a on Facebook (http://www.catbanter.com/showthread.php?t=106753)

Robert Catt November 12th 11 05:20 PM

r.p.c.a on Facebook

For years I posted to this cat newsgroup, but there's a Facebook version
that I believe is so much better. At the Facebook group we can post our
kitty photos, not just links to them. And "r.p.c.a." as it's called on
Facebook is a "secret" invitation-only group. This means we can choose who
we want to be members and eliminate the spammers, trolls and loonies. All of
its 98 members are dedicated cat lovers.

If you're not a member of Facebook I suggest you join it, then contact one
of the group's four administrators and ask to become an r.p.c.a Facebook
members. They re Krista Lee McCrea, Lena Westberg, Vicki Chapman, and Victor
Martinez.

Jack Campin November 12th 11 10:06 PM

r.p.c.a on Facebook

For years I posted to this cat newsgroup, but there's a Facebook version
that I believe is so much better. At the Facebook group we can post our
kitty photos, not just links to them. And "r.p.c.a." as it's called on
Facebook is a "secret" invitation-only group. This means we can choose
who we want to be members and eliminate the spammers, trolls and loonies.
All of its 98 members are dedicated cat lovers.

If you're not a member of Facebook I suggest you join it, then contact one
of the group's four administrators and ask to become an r.p.c.a Facebook
members. They re Krista Lee McCrea, Lena Westberg, Vicki Chapman, and Victor
Martinez.

Joining Facebook itself is handing your personal info to an organization
with a long record of selfish irresponsibility and boneheaded incompetence
shrouded behind corporate arrogance when it comes to protecting it.

NO WAY, not ever.

Robert Catt November 12th 11 11:39 PM

r.p.c.a on Facebook

"Jack Campin" wrote in message
Joining Facebook itself is handing your personal info to an organization
with a long record of selfish irresponsibility and boneheaded incompetence
shrouded behind corporate arrogance when it comes to protecting it.
NO WAY, not ever.
e m a i l : j a c k @ c a m p i n . m e . u
Jack Campin, 11 Third Street, Newtongrange, Midlothian EH22 4PU,
Scotland
mobile 07800 739 557 http://www.campin.me.uk Twitter: JackCampi

That's your choice, Jack. But if you only operate under an Internet alias as
I do, and don't reveal personal information, there's no problem with
Facebook. And avoid signing up for Facebook apps. They will publish your
info. I don't know if your info you've listed above is accurate, but if it
is you're asking for trouble, especially in newsgroups.

Jack Campin November 13th 11 12:17 AM

r.p.c.a on Facebook

Joining Facebook itself is handing your personal info to an organization
with a long record of selfish irresponsibility and boneheaded incompetence
shrouded behind corporate arrogance when it comes to protecting it.
NO WAY, not ever.

That's your choice, Jack. But if you only operate under an Internet alias
as I do, and don't reveal personal information, there's no problem with
Facebook. And avoid signing up for Facebook apps. They will publish your
info. I don't know if your info you've listed above [my sig] is accurate,
but if it is you're asking for trouble, especially in newsgroups.

The information is accurate. I've had a sig like that on every message
I've posted to Usenet since 1983 - tens of thousands of messages. No
"trouble" like you're imagining has ever occurred.

Facebook asks for vastly more data and makes it as difficult as
possible for you to make effective use of their system if you
don't hand it over.

Robert Catt November 13th 11 01:33 AM

r.p.c.a on Facebook

On Nov 12, 6:17*pm, Jack Campin wrote:

The information is accurate. *I've had a sig like that on every message
I've posted to Usenet since 1983 - tens of thousands of messages. *No
"trouble" like you're imagining has ever occurred.

It's not my imagination. I have spoken to others who have regretted
revealing personal information.

Facebook asks for vastly more data and makes it as difficult as
possible for you to make effective use of their system if you
don't hand it over.

I've never had that problem, Jack. I have no apps on Facebook, and the
only factual info Facebook or newsgroups have about me is that I live
in Toronto - but so do a couple of million other people. Even my birth
date is inaccurate. I'm not being paranoid when I protect my identity.
It just makes good sense, whether it's a newsgroup or Twitter or
Facebook or any other social media.

Robert Catt November 13th 11 01:39 AM

r.p.c.a on Facebook

On Nov 12, 6:17*pm, Jack Campin wrote:

The information is accurate. *I've had a sig like that on every message
I've posted to Usenet since 1983 - tens of thousands of messages. *No
"trouble" like you're imagining has ever occurred.

You're fortunate, Jack. I've spoken to others who've regretted
revealing personal info in newsgroups.

Facebook asks for vastly more data and makes it as difficult as
possible for you to make effective use of their system if you
don't hand it over.

I have no Facebook apps which reveal personal info, and everything
except the city where I live is fictitious - but Toronto has a couple
of million other people. Even my birth date is inaccurate. I like it
that way, whether it be in newsgroups, Twitter, Facebook or any other
social media.

Lesley November 13th 11 05:09 PM

r.p.c.a on Facebook

On Nov 12, 8:20*am, "Robert Catt" wrote:
For years I posted to this cat newsgroup, but there's a Facebook version
that I believe is so much better.

I alternate between this group and the FB one, which incidentally I
don't think is any better than this one or any worse. This ng to me
feels more like a group of friends chatting in the pub/coffe bar
wherever- I don't think you can have the prolonged public
conversations on FB that go off tangent and usually end up with yet
another of Jill's recipies being printed out for later use if not
fairly immediate use (I've lost count of the times Jill's latest
recipie has answered the question "What shall we have tonight?" for
me) I'm getting quite a big cook book. In FB conversations rarely last
long and tend to stay on topic

FB to me is useful in a number of non-cat related ways more than
anything- through it I've reconnected with friends from years ago
which is sometimes a sad thing (after all I'm almost 54 so it follows
when I'm asking after people from my late teens early 20's- a few are
no longer with us- one of the sweetest guys I've ever met got taken
by leukaemia 6 years back, someone else got killed in a car accident
etc) and also its useful to stay in touch with some of my family (not
all I'm pretty restrictive about who I allow as a "friend")

Basically I read here first (I have various groups I read pretty much
daily, this is the first one I come to) then I'll go to my various
other social sites/fourms (my games club, HV festival, FB and my
photography forum)

I don't regard FB as the be all and end all-it's just another useful
tool

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Yowie November 13th 11 09:58 PM

r.p.c.a on Facebook

On 14/11/2011 3:09 AM, Lesley wrote:

I don't regard FB as the be all and end all-it's just another useful
tool

"Like"

Yowie

Jane November 14th 11 12:00 PM

r.p.c.a on Facebook

[...]

It's actually very simple for me - I can access this group from work, and I can't access Facebook at work. Problem solved.

(Note: When I am home,I have tons of other stuff to do rather than sit on the computer)

Jane
- owned and operated by the Princess Rita

Kraut / Larry Stark November 14th 11 02:32 PM

r.p.c.a on Facebook

On Sun, 13 Nov 2011 08:09:47 -0800 (PST), Lesley
wrote:

[...]

I am affraid I agree with Lesley. The only reason I am on the FB
version is to keep up with the posters that no longer use the news
groups. I hate to say it but in my opinion the news groups are on
their way out. :-(