CatBanter

-   -   hot cat ears (http://www.catbanter.com/showthread.php?t=12024)

Fat Freddy July 1st 03 09:22 PM

hot cat ears

ears and paw pads can get hot when they're excited and happy...

What a pleasant suprise to find that this thread is about happy cats.
I thought it was one of those troll posts about recipies for cooking
kitties.

Kailey11 July 2nd 03 12:23 AM

All my cats have had cool ears except the 2 littermates I adopted a year ago.
Their ears are very warm. Don't know if it is a genetic thing or what.

Kailey11 July 2nd 03 12:23 AM

dgk July 2nd 03 02:54 AM

On Tue, 1 Jul 2003 20:41:38 +0000 (UTC), Priscilla H Ballou
wrote:

Fat Freddy quoth:
ears and paw pads can get hot when they're excited and happy...

What a pleasant suprise to find that this thread is about happy cats.
I thought it was one of those troll posts about recipies for cooking
kitties.

LOL! Hot cat ears en brochette?

Well, I do sort of fake-nibble on my cats' ears. They're just so
nuzzle-able! Velllllllll-vet.

Priscilla

They sell pigs ears for dogs. Yuck.

Yngver July 2nd 03 05:58 PM

dgk wrote:

From a biology point of view I would think that a fur covered animal
would use big ears like that to lose body heat as necessary. It
wouldn't be surprising if there was a mechanism in cats to send more
blood to the ears if the cat is hot. Dogs pant to cool off but I don't
see cats panting. Of course, they're smart enough not to run around
when it's hot.

I've seen cats panting, but since cats also pant from stress, it's hard
sometimes to know whether it's the heat that's causing the panting. They do get
sweaty paws too, but that can also be from stress.

Liz July 3rd 03 04:35 AM

Cats pant just like dogs, with their tongue sticking way out and their
mouth wide open if they are really hot. It's common to catch them at
it when they are playing out in the sun in a hot summer day. They just
don't feel as hot as dogs do. Dogs seem to be hot all the time (at
least in a tropical country).