CatBanter

-   -   Cat Food and Mad Cow Disease (http://www.catbanter.com/showthread.php?t=15266)

Jean B. December 27th 03 12:52 AM

Cat Food and Mad Cow Disease

Soooooooo, do any of you wonder about the beef byproducts that
might be in cat food? I was initially thinking that not feeding
cans of beef would do the trick, but where else might this mystery
meat lurk?
--
Jean B.

Cheryl December 27th 03 01:44 AM

Jean B. wrote in on 26 Dec 2003:

Soooooooo, do any of you wonder about the beef byproducts that
might be in cat food? I was initially thinking that not feeding
cans of beef would do the trick, but where else might this mystery
meat lurk?

I only feed mine with poultry. We did have a nice prime rib for Christmas
dinner (us humans) so I guess we have to wait and see.

--
Cheryl

"I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I
can do something. I will not refuse to do the something I can do."
- Helen Keller

Sherry December 27th 03 02:02 AM

Soooooooo, do any of you wonder about the beef byproducts that
might be in cat food? I was initially thinking that not feeding
cans of beef would do the trick, but where else might this mystery
meat lurk?
--
Jean B.

No, I really don't wonder about it much. I think your cats have a better chance
of being struck by lightning than dying from mad cow disease.

Sherry

PawsForThought December 27th 03 02:22 PM

From: itty (Sherry )

Soooooooo, do any of you wonder about the beef byproducts that
might be in cat food? I was initially thinking that not feeding
cans of beef would do the trick, but where else might this mystery
meat lurk?
--
Jean B.

No, I really don't wonder about it much. I think your cats have a better
chance
of being struck by lightning than dying from mad cow disease.

Sherry

Can cats even get mad cow disease?
________
See my cats:
http://community.webshots.com/album/56955940rWhxAe

Steven Cook December 27th 03 05:01 PM

Can cats even get mad cow disease?
________

Dunno, but technically we can't either, but we can get vCJD (variant
Creutzfeldt-Jacob Disease) I can't recall if they ever established a
direct link between eating BSE and contracting vCJD.

The danger area is the brain and spinal cord, as it is believed the
BSE prion can be transmitted by ingesting cuts of meat contaminated
with this material.

If cat food manufacturers use this material in their feed and if there
is a similar brain wasting disease in cats then I'd be very wary, but
I can't recall any scare connected to pet food and BSE here in the UK.
Maybe someone else has a better memory than me can add to this... Hey
I wonder if my short term memory loss is related to vCJD.... ;o)

frlpwr December 27th 03 05:57 PM

(snip)

http://www.neurocenter-bern.ch/tse_e.shtml#box2