CatBanter

-   -   Black water animal? (http://www.catbanter.com/showthread.php?t=113949)

Bill Stock[_2_] June 29th 19 05:21 PM

Black water animal?

Sorry, for being away so long, but I've been in the bush. OK, not really, but the creek trail is as close as I get.

Anyway, I was walking over on of the many pedestrian brides along the creek trail and I spotted two small black creatures playing in the water next to a rock. I did not stop to take a picture, as I thought they would scatter. They appeared to be about the size of a black squirrel, but seemed to have a bigger face. I could not see the tail, as they were in the water hanging onto the rock. They seemed very curious. I guess they could have been otters, but they looked too small and too dark. I guess they could have mink, but again the color was wrong.

I've seen eagles, herons, cormorants, large turtles, ducks, deer, raccoons, coyotes. I'll attach a few pictures, but don't expect to see the eagles, they fly well out of my camera's range. See if you can spot the deer in the pictures. I saw them again yesterday, as they bounced past me through the brush. Some genius was chasing then on a skateboard, which isn't too bright, as there are tons of rocks and other crap hidden in that brush.

OK, not too many animals. See if you can spot the big bird. :-) They fly here too.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/zcnwgj22j...rar14_Rba?dl=0

jmcquown[_2_] June 29th 19 05:58 PM

Black water animal?

On 6/29/2019 12:21 PM, Bill Stock wrote:
[...]

That's been quite the wildlife adventure! I have no idea what the small
black critters playing in the creek might have been. There are wild
mink where I live and also small river otters. Then again, southern
South Carolina isn't exactly "the bush". ;)

How are the cats?

Jill

Bill Stock[_2_] June 29th 19 06:17 PM

Black water animal?

Not exactly bush, since the trail runs under the 401 and the north end runs past the airport. It ranges from a 100 feet wide in places to a few hundred yards in other places. You see the most animals in the wider spots obviously. Still surprised to see deer here. The northern part of the trail is surrounded by fence, with lots of warning signs about staying on the trail. I'm sure if you strayed onto the airport property you would find find yourself rounded up. It's actually maintained by two separate cities, as the creek is the border. So you end up switching back and forth between cities as you cross the various pedestrian bridges, depending on where the creek bed lays.

Smokey is fine, complaining about the slow service and getting more picky about the variety of her food. She's discovered that if she bitches enough, she will get better food. FF recently changed their fish blend, but it is not Smokey approved, so one less choice on the menu.

Helen Wheels June 30th 19 02:00 PM

Black water animal?

It looks like a nice spot for a walk. Do you have water rats where you
are? I wonder whether the critters could have been something like that.

Bill Stock[_2_] July 1st 19 12:45 AM

Black water animal?

On Sunday, June 30, 2019 at 9:00:26 AM UTC-4, Helen Wheels wrote:
[...]

I don't think so; likely baby otters.