CatBanter

-   Cat rescue (http://www.catbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Hartz Kills... *Again* (http://www.catbanter.com/showthread.php?t=22217)

[email protected] June 11th 04 06:46 AM

Hartz Kills... *Again*

From: http://www.thekansascitychannel.com/...22/detail.html

Cat Dies After Getting Over-The-Counter
Flea Treatment
Vets Warn Some Animals Can Have Adverse Reactions

WELLSVILLE, Kan. -- A family's beloved cat died this week, shortly after
receiving an over-the-counter flea treatment made by Hartz, KMBC's
Krista Klaus reported.
According to local veterinarians, the treatment can cause reactions in
pets, ranging from seizures to death in rare instances.

Kelly Sturdevant and her kids buried their Siamese cat, Mariah
(pictured, left), in their back yard in Wellsville, Kan.
Sturdevant said Mariah died a few weeks after she was treated with Hartz
Advanced Care flea and tick drops for the first time.

"She stopped eating and she was throwing up," Sturdevant said. "I kind
of feel like it was my fault. If I didn't put it on her, she'd still be
here."

Mariah's owners took her to a veterinarian, and the cat was put on an
intravenous drip for four days, but her liver gave out, Klaus reported.

The vet said Sturdevant wasn't alone.
"He'd had several reports of cats coming in who had that stuff applied
to them," Sturdevant said.

Vets at a specialty clinic in Overland Park said they see at least one
or two cases of toxic reactions to similar products every month. That's
why Dr. Jean Greek advises her clinets to stick with prescription flea
treatments.

"Over-the-counter products have a much less safe track record than
prescription products do," Greek said.
Greek added that the makers of over-the-counter flea treatments will
reimburse pet owners for vet expenses in the case of an adverse
reaction. In Sturdevant's case, that amounts to about $300, Klaus
reported.

nothing."

-Edmund Burke

Learn The TRUTH About Declawing
http://www.stopdeclaw.com

Zuzu's Cats Photo Album:
http://www.PictureTrail.com/zuzu22

way."

- W.H. Murray

KellyH June 11th 04 10:03 AM

From: http://www.thekansascitychannel.com/...22/detail.html

Cat Dies After Getting Over-The-Counter
Flea Treatment
Vets Warn Some Animals Can Have Adverse Reactions

WELLSVILLE, Kan. -- A family's beloved cat died this week, shortly after
receiving an over-the-counter flea treatment made by Hartz, KMBC's
Krista Klaus reported.

snip

The vet said Sturdevant wasn't alone.
"He'd had several reports of cats coming in who had that stuff applied
to them," Sturdevant said.

Vets at a specialty clinic in Overland Park said they see at least one
or two cases of toxic reactions to similar products every month. That's
why Dr. Jean Greek advises her clinets to stick with prescription flea
treatments.

"Over-the-counter products have a much less safe track record than
prescription products do," Greek said.
Greek added that the makers of over-the-counter flea treatments will
reimburse pet owners for vet expenses in the case of an adverse
reaction. In Sturdevant's case, that amounts to about $300, Klaus
reported.

I don't understand how these OTC flea treatments can still be out there when
*one* vet practice is seeing adverse reactions one or two times a month. If
most vet practices see reactions at the same rate, that's cause to pull the
stuff off the market in my book. I'm sure the family is comforted to know
they'll be getting $300 from Hartz. sarcasam It's really sad,
well-meaning pet owners think they are doing the right thing by treating
their cat, and it can kill them. Are dogs having the same bad reactions,
just curious.

--
-Kelly
kelly at farringtons dot net

KellyH June 11th 04 10:03 AM

MaryL June 11th 04 03:09 PM

From: http://www.thekansascitychannel.com/...22/detail.html

Cat Dies After Getting Over-The-Counter
Flea Treatment
Vets Warn Some Animals Can Have Adverse Reactions

WELLSVILLE, Kan. -- A family's beloved cat died this week, shortly after
receiving an over-the-counter flea treatment made by Hartz, KMBC's
Krista Klaus reported.

Greek added that the makers of over-the-counter flea treatments will
reimburse pet owners for vet expenses in the case of an adverse
reaction. In Sturdevant's case, that amounts to about $300, Klaus
reported.

And just *how* do they reimburse pet owners for the devastating emotional
loss of their beloved pets??? ...she says, reeking sarcasm
Unfortunately, most courts still look at our pets only as "property." It
seems that the only way to get this junk off the market would be for courts
to award amounts large enough to make the manufacturing of Hartz products
unprofitable. Since that is unlikely, it is important for us to *stop
buying* ANY Hartz products.

MaryL

MaryL

MaryL June 11th 04 03:09 PM

Laura R. June 11th 04 09:48 PM

circa Fri, 11 Jun 2004 09:09:47 -0500, in alt.cats, MaryL (carstan101
@yahoo.comTAKE-OUT-THE-LITTER) said,

And just *how* do they reimburse pet owners for the devastating emotional
loss of their beloved pets??? ...she says, reeking sarcasm
Unfortunately, most courts still look at our pets only as "property." It
seems that the only way to get this junk off the market would be for courts
to award amounts large enough to make the manufacturing of Hartz products
unprofitable. Since that is unlikely, it is important for us to *stop
buying* ANY Hartz products.

MaryL

MaryL

Unfortunately, most people just don't know about the danger. I think
every veterinarian, shelter, groomer, breeder and pet store should
display warnings about Hartz, personally. If the woman in the story
had been told about the dangers when she bought the product, I highly
doubt she would have put it on her cat. If the law isn't going to
require that these products be adequately labeled (or better still,
pulled off the market), then I think pet stores, etc., should take it
upon themselves to warn people of the dangers. And it would be a
heckuva lot more effective than the occasional news story about a cat
that was killed by these products.

Laura
-Oscar Wilde

~*Connie*~ June 11th 04 10:30 PM

Are dogs having the same bad reactions,
just curious.

No. they aren't. Not to say they couldn't, but on the whole, the cat one
is much more toxic than the dog one.

~*Connie*~ June 11th 04 10:32 PM

Actually, most places around here for a long time had a very small hand out
near the hartz that warned that cats can have reactions. Although honestly,
I haven't see it in a while.

I am appalled that not only does hartz continue to sell it, but no one has
required they stop! I mean come on.. where's PETA (said with only a smidge
of sarcasm)