CatBanter

-   -   A new method of feeding pills to cats? (http://www.catbanter.com/showthread.php?t=66520)

223rem January 20th 06 03:56 AM

A new method of feeding pills to cats?

My trick is simple: I dip the pill and my fingers in cooking oil
before medicating the cat.

This achieves two things:

1. the oily pill goes down the throat fast and does not
get stuck on the tongue

2. the cat's muzzle gets oily from my fingers and he starts licking his
chops right away, and that prevents him from spitting the pill out.

Is this a novel trick?

NMR January 20th 06 04:03 AM

"223rem" wrote in message
My trick is simple: I dip the pill and my fingers in cooking oil
before medicating the cat.

This achieves two things:

1. the oily pill goes down the throat fast and does not
get stuck on the tongue

2. the cat's muzzle gets oily from my fingers and he starts licking his
chops right away, and that prevents him from spitting the pill out.

Is this a novel trick?

Try fish oil they will lick your fingers clean for you

Barb January 20th 06 06:02 PM

A new method of feeding pills to cats?

Gotta try it!

--
Barb
Of course I don't look busy,

Mr Tibbs January 20th 06 06:13 PM

A new method of feeding pills to cats?

223rem wrote:

Is this a novel trick?

might have to try that one day

ot: but in the same vein, I run hot water over the back of canned cat
food
before trying to dump it on the plate

they like the warm food, but better than this, the food just jumps
right out of the can

there's nothing worse than waking up...
trying to dump cat food from a cool can...
you're bumping the cats head each time you try...
you can't see the plate for the cathead!

so I run hot water on the back of them...
and swish!

---MIKE--- January 20th 06 07:58 PM

A new method of feeding pills to cats?

I do warm up the can before feeding it but I don't give them the whole
can at one time. Tiger would wolf it down, steal Ambers and then throw
up. I dole out about half the can between two cats and then refill as
they eat it. During the winter, I keep a can propped up on the
baseboard heat so it is always warm at meal time. I use warm water when
the furnace is not on.

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Mr Tibbs January 20th 06 08:46 PM

---MIKE--- wrote:
I do warm up the can before feeding it but I don't give them the whole
can at one time. Tiger would wolf it down...

ouch

I just put two cans out they are done by nightfall

then they get two more cans...a little is left by morning
and they don't throw it up.

Im pretty sure no-one has ever tapped into the potential
of just how bad you can spoil a cat..(im not saying you've done this to
yours)

but Im thinking you have to spoon feed them?

tell the truth

cybercat January 20th 06 09:02 PM

A new method of feeding pills to cats?

"Mr Tibbs" wrote in message
oups.com...

---MIKE--- wrote:
I do warm up the can before feeding it but I don't give them the whole
can at one time. Tiger would wolf it down...

ouch

I just put two cans out they are done by nightfall

then they get two more cans...a little is left by morning
and they don't throw it up.

Im pretty sure no-one has ever tapped into the potential
of just how bad you can spoil a cat..(im not saying you've done this to
yours)

but Im thinking you have to spoon feed them?

tell the truth

He just doesn't like cleaning up barf! My cats both
eat too fast and toss it all up at least twice a week.
I think Mike has a good idea here, at least for cats
that wolf their food!

Mr Tibbs January 20th 06 09:23 PM

cybercat wrote:

He just doesn't like cleaning up barf!

nobody likes it

My cats both
eat too fast and toss it all up at least twice a week.
I think Mike has a good idea here, at least for cats
that wolf their food!

well the solution is to give them all they want
when they see there is plenty they will stop being greedy

cybercat January 20th 06 09:36 PM

A new method of feeding pills to cats?

"Mr Tibbs" wrote in message
oups.com...

cybercat wrote:

He just doesn't like cleaning up barf!

nobody likes it

My cats both
eat too fast and toss it all up at least twice a week.
I think Mike has a good idea here, at least for cats
that wolf their food!

well the solution is to give them all they want
when they see there is plenty they will stop being greedy

Nope. Not Boo. Honest.

Mr Tibbs January 20th 06 09:41 PM

A new method of feeding pills to cats?

cybercat wrote:

Nope. Not Boo. Honest.

oh I can't believe that

seems like when he's ready to pop he would go lay down

say he barfs...he will be hungry soon after that...so he goes over to
his still plentiful bowl
i am sure he would only curve his appetite

people want things more when they are not as accessible

for example

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Elvis-Toe-Nail...QQcmdZViewItem