CatBanter

-   -   Lap cats - or not (http://www.catbanter.com/showthread.php?t=113762)

joy September 14th 18 12:12 AM

Lap cats - or not

For ages, I’ve had cats in my lap while I sat in my recliner and watched
TV in the evening. About 90% of the time I’d have both, although
occasionally it would be just Pickles, and once in a while just Koala.
Usually Pickles would come up first. She wouldn’t come up if Koala was
already there. Koala would come up, and once in a while Pickles would
immediately get down. Usually she’d stay where she’d curled up on my
lap. Koala would walk around her so he was between her and the upright
part of me. After a few skritches, he’d walk back around her and settle
down on my legs.

About six weeks ago, that stopped. Once or twice a week Koala would
come up, and occasionally he’d settle down and stay for a while. During
that time, Pickles only came up once. Right after she settled down,
Koala came up, and Pickles jumped down.

So I was very surprised last night when Pickles came up and settled on
my lap. After 10 or 15 minutes Koala came up too, and settled down.
They stayed there for over an hour. I was happy, because I’ve really
missed that.

jmcquown[_2_] September 14th 18 07:48 PM

Lap cats - or not

On 9/13/2018 7:12 PM, joy wrote:
[...]

I'm glad they decided to resume lap-time! I suspect they felt you were
getting too complacent so they had to shake things up a bit. :)

Jill

joy September 14th 18 08:09 PM

Lap cats - or not

On 9/14/2018 11:48 AM, jmcquown wrote:
On 9/13/2018 7:12 PM, joy wrote:
[...]

Probably. I know they do that occasionally.

Bill Stock[_2_] September 17th 18 07:25 PM

Lap cats - or not

On Thursday, September 13, 2018 at 7:12:18 PM UTC-4, joy wrote:
[...]

When we first got Cali she was very annoyed at being relocated from the cat group home. We thought she was deaf because she would not respond when you spoke to her or made a noise. Apparently she was just very good at ignoring the hoomans. If you put her in your lap she would not stay.

Then one day more than a year later a few of us were watching a movie in the basement and she thought she was being ignored, so she jumped up in the basket chair with my mother. She was a lap cat ever after, but only on her terms.

joy September 17th 18 08:15 PM

Lap cats - or not

On 9/17/2018 11:25 AM, Bill Stock wrote:
[...]

I'm glad she finally decided to be a lap cat. It took at least a year
with Koala, but he was a feral.

Bill Stock[_2_] September 18th 18 01:25 AM

Lap cats - or not

On Monday, September 17, 2018 at 3:16:01 PM UTC-4, joy wrote:
[...]

We think Cleo was feral for a time, as she did not play well with others. But she was an instant shoulder cat; I guess I looked better than living off the mice outdoors. I remember watching her outside before we adopted her when she saw a mouse on the porch. Our indoor cats liked to play with their food, but watching Cleo catch a mouse was like watching a sporting event. It was chase to stomach in under 15 seconds. No chewing required.
˓˓ฅ₍˄ุ.͡ ̫.˄ุ₎ฅ˒˒

joy September 18th 18 02:07 AM

Lap cats - or not

On 9/17/2018 5:25 PM, Bill Stock wrote:
[...]

They're all so different, aren't they? Obviously she knew what it was
like to be hungry. Koala has no desire to go outside now.

Cheryl[_5_] September 19th 18 02:47 PM

Lap cats - or not

On 2018-09-19 11:06 AM, Judith Latham wrote:
In article , Bill
Stock wrote:
When we first got Cali she was very annoyed at being relocated from the
cat group home. We thought she was deaf because she would not respond
when you spoke to her or made a noise. Apparently she was just very good
at ignoring the hoomans. If you put her in your lap she would not stay.

Then one day more than a year later a few of us were watching a movie in
the basement and she thought she was being ignored, so she jumped up in
the basket chair with my mother. She was a lap cat ever after, but only
on her terms.

isn't everything on their terms. :)

Neither of my cats are cuddly, exactly. Cinnamon never cuddles or sits
on laps. She will sit next to you, and allow herself to be brushed or
combed, moving if she wants you to brush another part of her body. No
one has ever brushed her long enough for her to get tired of the
process, but on the other hand, as you say, it's all on her terms, and
she has to be the one to approach you for brushing. Kerry likes, well,
not lap-sitting exactly...I have a very comfortable recliner, and she
likes stretching out on my chest, usually facing the window, but
sometimes the room, and relaxing or napping. I think I've finally
convinced her that the "rear end in my face" position is not desirable.
I've had to gently reposition her a bit when I was recovering from
breast surgery. She'll do the reclining on my chest when I'm reclining
for long periods of time, but she's the one who decides to start and
stop. Neither cat wants to snuggle or relax if I pick them up, they have
to be the one who approaches.

--
Cheryl

jmcquown[_2_] September 19th 18 03:06 PM

Lap cats - or not

On 2018-09-19 11:06 AM, Judith Latham wrote:
In article , Bill
Stock wrote:
[...]

I'm glad to see you back, Cheryl! Sorry to hear about the surgery, I
hope it went well.

I can't imagine not having a lap cat. Persia (RB) was always a lap cat.
She snuggled up right next to me from the first night she barged into
my apartment and declared it was her new home. :)

Buffy was hesitant when she first got to my house but she quickly
figured out there wasn't another cat here to bother her. She became a
total lap cat very quickly. If I'm stretched out reading a book she has
to be right next to me. She sometimes puts her face right in the middle
of the book to make sure I know she's right there. As if I could forget.

She doesn't like being picked up, though. Persia didn't like that, either.

Jill

Cheryl[_5_] September 19th 18 05:48 PM

Lap cats - or not

On 2018-09-19 11:36 AM, jmcquown wrote:

I'm glad to see you back, Cheryl!* Sorry to hear about the surgery, I
hope it went well.

Oh, it went very well. I had breast cancer, but they caught it early,
and I only had to have a lumpectomy and radiation and hormone
treatments. The doctors think there's a very good chance it will never
recur - but they still want check-ups at what I think are rather
frequent intervals. Still, there were times when the pressure of a
delicate cat's paw, followed by the weight of the cat, on a sore spot
wasn't pleasant!

She doesn't like being picked up, though.* Persia didn't like that, either.

Neither of mine like being picked up. Kerry is particularly curious - if
I'm talking on the phone, she thinks I'm talking to her, so she comes
over - and if I'm sitting at the computer desk talking on the phone, she
walks on the keyboard, tries to push it out of the way so she can reach
a pencil, etc etc. Once, she tipped over a half-full bottle of Diet Coke
that was on the desk. And whenever I've had someone in - there's been a
plumber and a washer repairman in the last few months - she's right in
there inspecting their work.

I've already had a friend point out cheerfully that things come in
threes - what household breakdown will be the third?

--
Cheryl