CatBanter

-   -   Cat shakes her head a lot (http://www.catbanter.com/showthread.php?t=109902)

[email protected] August 29th 13 06:35 AM

Cat shakes her head a lot

My 6 year old cat had a dental cleaning with 6 extractions about 6 weeks ago. Everything seemed to go well except I notice that she seems to shake her head quite a bit as if there is something in her mouth that is annoying her. It's not constant but she wasn't doing it before the procedure. It's really hard to look in her mouth so before I get someone to sit on her so that I can take a look (won't be popular with her) I thought I'd check to see if this was common.

I was thinking that there might still be a stitch that hasn't absorbed properly. She started doing it almost as soon as she got home from the vet. I just figured the stitches were annoying her but it's been long enough for the stitches to be gone.

She does not seem to be in any pain at all. She is otherwise acting perfectly normal.

Any ideas?

thanks

buglady[_2_] August 29th 13 10:58 AM

Cat shakes her head a lot

On 8/29/2013 1:35 AM, wrote:
My 6 year old cat had a dental cleaning with 6 extractions about 6 weeks ago.

Everything seemed to go well except I notice that she seems to shake
her head quite a bit

...........The only thing I can think of is an infection which may have
spread to the ear canal from the teeth.

buglady
take out the dog before replying

Mack A. Damia August 29th 13 05:05 PM

Cat shakes her head a lot

On Thu, 29 Aug 2013 05:58:40 -0400, buglady
wrote:

On 8/29/2013 1:35 AM, wrote:
My 6 year old cat had a dental cleaning with 6 extractions about 6 weeks ago.

Everything seemed to go well except I notice that she seems to shake
her head quite a bit

..........The only thing I can think of is an infection which may have
spread to the ear canal from the teeth.

Have you looked in her ears?

Maybe she picked up ear mites from the vet's office.

Bill Graham August 29th 13 08:52 PM

Cat shakes her head a lot

wrote in message
[...]

Have her checked for ear mites.

Bill Graham August 29th 13 08:56 PM

Cat shakes her head a lot

wrote:

On 8/29/2013 1:35 AM, wrote:
My 6 year old cat had a dental cleaning with 6 extractions about 6 weeks
ago.

Everything seemed to go well except I notice that she seems to shake
her head quite a bit

..........The only thing I can think of is an infection which may have
spread to the ear canal from the teeth.

Have you looked in her ears?

Maybe she picked up ear mites from the vet's office.

Yes. Our Junie had ear mites, and she would shake her head a lot. Poor cats
can't scratch inside their ears. The vet put drops in her ears that killed
them and she was fine after that. You cat could have picked them up
anywhere. A vets office, like a hospital, is a great place for cats to pick
up strange diseases and parasites.

[email protected] August 31st 13 04:27 PM

Cat shakes her head a lot

On Thursday, August 29, 2013 1:35:06 AM UTC-4, wrote:
[...]

Hmmm. I thought of her ears but assumed that along with the head shaking she'd be scratching them which she doesn't do.

Thanks. I'll check it out.