CatBanter

-   -   New family member - update #2 (http://www.catbanter.com/showthread.php?t=66729)

EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) January 29th 06 09:45 PM

New family member - update #2

Well, it's been nearly a week, now. We still have an uneasy
truce, with an occasional "shouting match", but neither one
seems seriously intent upon damaging the other, so I'm sure
they'll work it out in time.

The little newcomer ("Cendri" for short) grows bolder.
She'll allow herself to be petted, and even lean into my
hand. Last night we had a breakthrough - she was on the
hassock of my recliner, stepped over onto my knee, accepted
my carresses, and even revealed a rather loud purr! (Of
course, then Melisande got too close and growled at her, so
she took off.)

I can't believe how much that little mite EATS!!!!! She
certainly has not been underfed - she's tiny, but her ribs
are reasonably well-padded, as is the rest of her. However,
both moist-food dishes are always polished clean by the next
feeding time, which Melisande has NEVER done, and I'm sure
she is not eating any more than usual. That means
Cendrillon is accounting for nearly four cans of Fancy Feast
(or two cans of the "normal" catfood I can now buy again)
every day! (The levels of the dry food don't seem to
diminish much faster than they did when Melly was alone
here, but I've seen Cendri eating from that, too.) She's a
young cat, true, but not a kitten, despite her size, so
hasn't the excuse that she's "still growing" - although if
this keeps up, she may start growing sideways! (It's true,
Melisande may be eating more, now she has some competition
at the food bowls, but not THAT much more, I'm sure.)

Enfilade January 30th 06 03:03 AM

New family member - update #2

I can't believe how much that little mite EATS!!!!! She
certainly has not been underfed - she's tiny, but her ribs
are reasonably well-padded, as is the rest of her.

Make sure she hasn't got worms... When we brought in smokey, Smokey had
a lot of worms, and ate an insane amount to try to 1. bulk himself up
from skin and bones while 2. nourishing all those worms...

--Fil

EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) January 30th 06 04:45 AM

New family member - update #2

Enfilade wrote:

I can't believe how much that little mite EATS!!!!! She
certainly has not been underfed - she's tiny, but her ribs
are reasonably well-padded, as is the rest of her.

Make sure she hasn't got worms... When we brought in smokey, Smokey had
a lot of worms, and ate an insane amount to try to 1. bulk himself up
from skin and bones while 2. nourishing all those worms...

SFAIK, she's always been an indoor cat (and an only cat,
since my neighbor got her). I don't suppose that means she
COULDN'T have worms, but I think it's unlikely - certainly
her stool shows no sign of them. However, I DO plan to take
her to a vet, but I want to wait until she's less stressed
over the change in domicile, since she seems perfectly
healthy. (I'd forgotten how SHINY a short-haired black
coat could be - it's not only the pattern of her black and
white markings that remind me of one of those Japanese china
cats!)