CatBanter

-   -   Hissing after bringing kitty home from vet (http://www.catbanter.com/showthread.php?t=94468)

John Gordon April 1st 09 06:51 PM

Hissing after bringing kitty home from vet

The other day one of our cats was feeling poorly (vomiting and
listlessness) so we took him to the vet. Thankfully they found nothing
wrong and he was able to come home after about four hours spent there.

However, when we brought him inside the other two cats acted almost as
if we had brought a stranger into the house, hissing and growling at him.

Is this normal? I can't remember this happening before. Could he have
picked up a strange odor at the vet?

B is for Basil, assaulted by bears

cybercat April 1st 09 06:54 PM

"John Gordon" wrote in message
The other day one of our cats was feeling poorly (vomiting and
listlessness) so we took him to the vet. Thankfully they found nothing
wrong and he was able to come home after about four hours spent there.

However, when we brought him inside the other two cats acted almost as
if we had brought a stranger into the house, hissing and growling at him.

Is this normal? I can't remember this happening before. Could he have
picked up a strange odor at the vet?

Very normal. He smells funny. Like the vet.

Matthew[_3_] April 1st 09 06:54 PM

Hissing after bringing kitty home from vet

Yes the furball has strange smells it should be ok in a few days.

You can quickly remedy this by taking a piece of dirty laundry and rub all
the furballs with the clothing so they have the same smell

[email protected] April 1st 09 09:04 PM

Hissing after bringing kitty home from vet

Yes, quite normal. As the other posters said, the cat that went to the
vet smells "different" to the other cats.

You can separate them for a day or so until things settle down. As
Matthew said, you can rub a towel on all three cats to distribute the
smells.

John Gordon April 1st 09 10:35 PM

In writes:

Yes, quite normal. As the other posters said, the cat that went to the
vet smells "different" to the other cats.

You can separate them for a day or so until things settle down. As
Matthew said, you can rub a towel on all three cats to distribute the
smells.

Thanks for all the responses. I'll try rubbing him with a towel when I
get home tonight.

B is for Basil, assaulted by bears

cybercat April 1st 09 11:06 PM

Hissing after bringing kitty home from vet

"John Gordon" wrote in message
In
writes:

Yes, quite normal. As the other posters said, the cat that went to the
vet smells "different" to the other cats.

You can separate them for a day or so until things settle down. As
Matthew said, you can rub a towel on all three cats to distribute the
smells.

Thanks for all the responses. I'll try rubbing him with a towel when I
get home tonight.

On behalf of all good cat parents here, I would just like to say THANK YOU
for taking your cat to the vet when he is sick.

cybercat April 1st 09 11:13 PM

Hissing after bringing kitty home from vet

"John Gordon" wrote in message
The other day one of our cats was feeling poorly (vomiting and
listlessness) so we took him to the vet. Thankfully they found nothing
wrong and he was able to come home after about four hours spent there.

I'm wondering: why did he have to spend four hours there?

John Gordon April 2nd 09 06:52 PM

In "cybercat" writes:

"John Gordon" wrote in message
The other day one of our cats was feeling poorly (vomiting and
listlessness) so we took him to the vet. Thankfully they found nothing
wrong and he was able to come home after about four hours spent there.

I'm wondering: why did he have to spend four hours there?

The vet was having a somewhat busy day, so the best they could offer was
to take him in and do the blood tests, x-rays etc between other
appointments.

B is for Basil, assaulted by bears

[email protected] April 2nd 09 07:31 PM

On Apr 1, 1:51*pm, John Gordon wrote:

Is this normal? *I can't remember this happening before. *Could he have
picked up a strange odor at the vet?

Another Edward Gorey fan? Do you also wear red high-tops?

As to your cat, it smells of fear, chemicals and strange places. Cats
are very scent-sensitive animals and so there will be a reaction. What
is surprising is that your cat was rejected by his peers. Our big cat
wants to care for and comfort any of our animals just back from the
vet.

Before I speculate too much, do you have exactly three cats? That
would explain a lot.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

John Gordon April 2nd 09 09:28 PM

In " writes:

As to your cat, it smells of fear, chemicals and strange places. Cats
are very scent-sensitive animals and so there will be a reaction. What
is surprising is that your cat was rejected by his peers. Our big cat
wants to care for and comfort any of our animals just back from the
vet.

Before I speculate too much, do you have exactly three cats? That
would explain a lot.

Yes, we have exactly three. What is special about that number?

B is for Basil, assaulted by bears