CatBanter

-   Cat rescue (http://www.catbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Fences - Cats - DIY? (http://www.catbanter.com/showthread.php?t=108295)

Gas Bag August 12th 12 01:28 PM

Fences - Cats - DIY?

A friend of mine has one of these fences that's about 178cm (5'10")
tall:

http://stratco.com.au/products/fenci..._neighbour.asp

She wants to stop her cats getting out, and other cats getting in. I
know full well that there are numerous commercially available products
that will stop cats (along with other animals) climbing fences. I'm
sure they do work, but they're all fairly pricey, particularly if
attempting to cover a significant length of fencing. I'm now thinking
about trying a home-rigged set up. I'm considering getting a whole
heap of empty 2 Litre plastic softdrink bottles (Soda bottles to any
USA readers), then cutting off the base and neck of the bottles, then
cutting them lengthwise, then siliconing them to the tops of the fence
so the sides of the bottles "curve downwards" from the top of the
fence. I'm thinking this curved plastic will be too smooth and
slippery for a cat to get any grip with it's claws. I have no problem
with spending some time getting this to work, but I want to keep the
cost down, so spending lots of $$$ isn't happening.

I was wondering if anyone has attempted anything like this, and if
they can offer any advice. Thanks.

To any cat "lovers" out there, my friend isn't getting rid of her
cats, nor is she trapping/baiting any of the cats in her suburb.

Bill Graham August 15th 12 10:01 PM

Fences - Cats - DIY?

Gas Bag wrote:
[...]

I have a friend who built a, "cateo" for his cats, and covered it with
chicken wire fencing, which lets in the fresh air and sunshine, but keeps
the cats from getting out. This was fairly easy and inexpensive for him to
do. and his cats love spending time out there. He can also grow flowers out
there.....

chaniarts[_2_] August 16th 12 04:32 PM

Fences - Cats - DIY?

On 8/15/2012 2:01 PM, Bill Graham wrote:
Gas Bag wrote:
[...]

i built one of these too. 12x12x8' with lots of internal ramps. i had to
use thin plywood for the first couple of feet to keep the rattlesnakes
and coyote's out, and it had a chickenwire roof to keep the owls and
hawks out too.

Brooklyn1 August 17th 12 01:59 AM

Fences - Cats - DIY?

Gas Bag wrote:

She wants to stop her cats getting out, and other cats getting in.
To any cat "lovers" out there, my friend isn't getting rid of her
cats, nor is she trapping/baiting any of the cats in her suburb.

Anyone who cares about their cats doesn't let them out.

dgk August 17th 12 03:08 PM

Fences - Cats - DIY?

On Thu, 16 Aug 2012 20:59:00 -0400, Brooklyn1 Gravesend1 wrote:

Gas Bag wrote:

She wants to stop her cats getting out, and other cats getting in.
To any cat "lovers" out there, my friend isn't getting rid of her
cats, nor is she trapping/baiting any of the cats in her suburb.

Anyone who cares about their cats doesn't let them out.

Like most absolute statements, that's nonsense. Cats enjoy being
outdoors and if we really care about our cats we want them to be
happy. Safe counts but so does happy.

Sometimes there is no option, like when you live in an apartment in a
city. But I rigged the fence in my little backyard so the cats can't
get out and I let them out whenever I'm able to - of course I must be
home.

Sure there is some risk. Maybe some critter left a hole in the fence -
raccoons and possums can do that. Maybe one will climb a tree and jump
into the next yard. I try to minimize that risk by putting Loc8tor
tags on their collars. But like any knowlegable cat owner I use
breakaway collars so even that isn't foolproof.

But they love lying on the cool earth under the evergreens, or eating
the grass or some bug. Or they just hang out on the deck and sniff the
air. Of course I don't use any pesticides or other poisons. Once or
twice a year one will catch a bird. Sometimes I'm quick enough to save
the bird. They are just so proud when they get one though. I make it
up to the birds by feeding them all winter and even putting up a
heated birdbath.

For me, the small risk that something will happen to them is more than
offset by the enjoyment they get by being "free" outside. I've had
eight cats during the 16 years that I've had this fenced in yard. Four
have died, but none because they were allowed to go out. Four are
still enjoying the yard and will do so today when I get home.

Higgs Boson August 17th 12 08:53 PM

Fences - Cats - DIY?

Gas Bag wrote:

[...]

***My cat specializes in losing breakaway collars with the name tags I
paid to have made. I finally gave up. He's chipped, so if he's found
and the finders have enough sense to call the local shelter, he could
potentially be located.

One thing: I was warned a few years ago to KEEP HIM INDOORS on
Halloween; black cat. So I bring him in during the day, set up food
and toilet, and don't let him out till next day.-

But they love lying on the cool earth under the evergreens, or eating
the grass or some bug. Or they just hang out on the deck and sniff the
air. Of course I don't use any pesticides or other poisons. Once or
twice a year one will catch a bird. Sometimes I'm quick enough to save
the bird. They are just so proud when they get one though. I make it
up to the birds by feeding them all winter and even putting up a
heated birdbath.

***Hah! Me too! I saved a bird just the other day and confined it
briefly until it settled down enough to fly away. [Censored]
generations of mocking-birds have been teasing the cats all these
years, and some of them go too far!

For me, the small risk that something will happen to them is more than
offset by the enjoyment they get by being "free" outside. I've had
eight cats during the 16 years that I've had this fenced in yard. Four
have died, but none because they were allowed to go out. Four are
still enjoying the yard and will do so today when I get home.

FOUR CHEERS! I view with dismay the idea of cooping up an animal in
an unnatural environment just for the selfish enjoyment of the owner!
If that goes for cats, which I've had all my life, imagine how much
more it goes for dogs, especially HUGE dogs shut up in a small
apartment, and afforded only a daily walk by the perhaps conscientious
but normally busy owner, employed or not.

HB

Brooklyn1 August 17th 12 09:40 PM

Fences - Cats - DIY?

dgk wrote:
Brooklyn1 wrote:
Gas Bag wrote:

She wants to stop her cats getting out, and other cats getting in.
To any cat "lovers" out there, my friend isn't getting rid of her
cats, nor is she trapping/baiting any of the cats in her suburb.

Anyone who cares about their cats doesn't let them out.

Like most absolute statements, that's nonsense. Cats enjoy being
outdoors and if we really care about our cats we want them to be
happy. Safe counts but so does happy.

What good is a "happy" cat flattened with tire tread impressions...
cats are happy indoors... you're an imbecile.

Julie Bove[_2_] August 18th 12 08:12 AM

Fences - Cats - DIY?

"Brooklyn1" Gravesend1 wrote in message
Gas Bag wrote:

She wants to stop her cats getting out, and other cats getting in.
To any cat "lovers" out there, my friend isn't getting rid of her
cats, nor is she trapping/baiting any of the cats in her suburb.

Anyone who cares about their cats doesn't let them out.

I agree there. It saddens me to get the mail now. Every few days there is
a new poster of a missing cat on the mailbox. I constantly see cats roaming
the neighborhood and frequently we see them in our backyard at night. I
don't know who owned the black one with white paws but I saw it at the side
of the road. Looked pretty dead.

Not only do we have some wild drivers on this street but I think there are
also coyotes. Some were spotted not far from here.

Julie Bove[_2_] August 18th 12 08:15 AM

Fences - Cats - DIY?

Gas Bag wrote:

[...]

Cats do love that but... Unless I had the money to build a very specific
type of cat enclosure, I wouldn't let my cats outside. Would have to be
something to keep them very safe. But even with something like that, the
cat could get fleas or maybe eat a bird or a rodent and then maybe get
worms. Our baby cat has had two kinds of worms now. I don't know how she
got them. She lives indoors. She did have the lung worms when we got her.
Not sure about the round worms unless perhaps she got them from eating a
bug. She and mom did get a moth in here just prior.

Julie Bove[_2_] August 18th 12 08:21 AM

Fences - Cats - DIY?

dgk wrote:
Brooklyn1 wrote:
Gas Bag wrote:

She wants to stop her cats getting out, and other cats getting in.
To any cat "lovers" out there, my friend isn't getting rid of her
cats, nor is she trapping/baiting any of the cats in her suburb.

Anyone who cares about their cats doesn't let them out.

Like most absolute statements, that's nonsense. Cats enjoy being
outdoors and if we really care about our cats we want them to be
happy. Safe counts but so does happy.

What good is a "happy" cat flattened with tire tread impressions...
cats are happy indoors... you're an imbecile.

Yes. I saw a bumper sticker online that said, "I'd rather be inside and fat
than outside and flat."

I am sure that my momma cat was probably outside at some point in her life.
She and her babies were found in an abandoned house and they had to get food
from somewhere. But now she never tries to get out. Never. She is
perfectly happy as a house cat.

Now the baby? Well she isn't actually a baby any more since she is over a
year old but... She is the one they named that phrase after about how
curiosity killed the cat. She is very interested in the garage for some
reason. I don't want her out there because there are all sorts of little
hidey holes and some are up high. She can jump up high. We did once have a
rat get in there during the winter and it died somewhere in the wall. Would
be horrible if she were to suffer the same fate. So I will walk her out
there in my arms and show her around. Nothing of interest to her, I
wouldn't think. Just some canned goods, soda pop, Christmas lights, a few
tools... But one day she came very close to getting to the outside!
Apparently I did not shut the door from the laundry room fully and she
pushed it open. She was walking very slowly and cautiously towards the
opening of the garage. Mom was in the laundry room looking very worried and
calling to her. Luckily I was able to pick her up and bring her back
inside.