CatBanter

-   -   Maine Coon's M (http://www.catbanter.com/showthread.php?t=24381)

trishy February 16th 05 12:30 AM

Maine Coon's M

Hello there i have a little maine coone and when i took her to the vet
the lady there said ohhh you have a maine coon. I didnt know what she
was talking about.hehe.Then she showed me the little M on her face. I
had never noticed it before. I was just wondering is that a thing that
all maine coons have?? Another thing is KissPurr (don't laugh at her
name all she does is kisses and purrs) lol
does not have really long hair so is she still considered a Maine
Coone? Any will her fur get longer over time??
Thanks in advanced for your help:)

Monique Y. Mudama February 16th 05 12:46 AM

On 2005-02-15, trishy penned:
Hello there i have a little maine coone and when i took her to the vet the
lady there said ohhh you have a maine coon. I didnt know what she was
talking about.hehe.Then she showed me the little M on her face. I had never
noticed it before. I was just wondering is that a thing that all maine
coons have?? Another thing is KissPurr (don't laugh at her name all she does
is kisses and purrs) lol does not have really long hair so is she still
considered a Maine Coone? Any will her fur get longer over time?? Thanks in
advanced for your help:)

She probably just meant that your cat may have a maine coon in her ancestry.
Your cat isn't "really" considered a maine coon unless she has papers to prove
it, but I promise that no one here will demand papers before allowing you to
call her a MC if that's what you want to do.

I've never heard of an "M" having anything to do with maine coons, but maybe
it's related. "Little" isn't a word generally associated with MCs, though.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

CatNipped February 16th 05 01:24 AM

"trishy" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello there i have a little maine coone and when i took her to the vet
the lady there said ohhh you have a maine coon. I didnt know what she
was talking about.hehe.Then she showed me the little M on her face. I
had never noticed it before. I was just wondering is that a thing that
all maine coons have?? Another thing is KissPurr (don't laugh at her
name all she does is kisses and purrs) lol
does not have really long hair so is she still considered a Maine
Coone? Any will her fur get longer over time??
Thanks in advanced for your help:)

Tabby cats have the characteristic "M" on their foreheads, some Maine Coons
can also be tabbies. Here's a link that describes the traits of the Maine
Coon: http://www.fanciers.com/breed-faqs/m...-faq.html#Char

Hugs,

CatNipped

Karen Chuplis February 16th 05 01:42 AM

in article , Monique Y. Mudama at
wrote on 2/15/05 5:46 PM:

On 2005-02-15, trishy penned:
[...]

Well a maine coone can be of a tabby coat and the tabbies have an "M" on
their forehead. There are several legends surrounding this. Just google
Tabby M forehead and you can read many lovely stories.

Cheryl February 16th 05 02:17 AM

On Tue 15 Feb 2005 07:24:04p, CatNipped wrote in
rec.pets.cats.anecdotes ):

Tabby cats have the characteristic "M" on their foreheads, some
Maine Coons can also be tabbies. Here's a link that describes
the traits of the Maine Coon:
http://www.fanciers.com/breed-faqs/m...-faq.html#Char

The same with my little tabby babies. :) Though I like to think of
Rhett and Scarlett as having Bengal blood because someone pointed out
the characteristics, I'd still never say I have "Bengals". They act
like Bengals, right down to liking to play in water. They make a
mess, particularly Rhett!! AAKK!! lol

Here are the pics of him that I showed a Bengal owner/shower.
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/shambo...r=8768&.src=ph

--
Cheryl

CatNipped February 16th 05 03:01 AM

"Cheryl" wrote in message
On Tue 15 Feb 2005 07:24:04p, CatNipped wrote in
rec.pets.cats.anecdotes ):

Tabby cats have the characteristic "M" on their foreheads, some
Maine Coons can also be tabbies. Here's a link that describes
the traits of the Maine Coon:
http://www.fanciers.com/breed-faqs/m...-faq.html#Char

The same with my little tabby babies. :) Though I like to think of
Rhett and Scarlett as having Bengal blood because someone pointed out
the characteristics, I'd still never say I have "Bengals". They act
like Bengals, right down to liking to play in water. They make a
mess, particularly Rhett!! AAKK!! lol

Here are the pics of him that I showed a Bengal owner/shower.
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/shambo...r=8768&.src=ph

--
Cheryl

Wow! They really *DO* look like Bengal's - are you sure they aren't? Well,
whatever they are, they are *GORGEOUS*!!!

Hugs,

CatNipped

Cheryl February 16th 05 03:32 AM

On Tue 15 Feb 2005 09:01:00p, CatNipped wrote in
rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
):

Wow! They really *DO* look like Bengal's - are you sure they
aren't? Well, whatever they are, they are *GORGEOUS*!!!

They are, aren't they. :) Their parentage is totally unknown. They
were found under someones shed. The wierd thing is that of the litter
of four, the two males are identical brownish tabbies, the two
females are identical gray tabbies. Their markings are identical, but
the grays are like dilute versions of the browns.

Scarlett is unique of any cats I've known. She took a long time to
grow, but she had some health problems. Now, she is very looooong and
narrow. If you look down on her, she is only a couple of inches wide.
But she has a long neck, and a very long body. If she sees something
that scares/interests her and she lengthens her body to strain to
check it out, she looks so funny!

--
Cheryl

hobbs February 16th 05 09:57 AM

I would love to see them Cheryl but unfortunately I couldn't get the pics,
only thesquares they 'should' have been in lol that sometimes happens to me.
Jean.P. ps I'm sure they are quite georgous though. Jean.

wafflycat February 16th 05 01:32 PM

"trishy" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello there i have a little maine coone and when i took her to the vet
the lady there said ohhh you have a maine coon. I didnt know what she
was talking about.hehe.Then she showed me the little M on her face. I
had never noticed it before. I was just wondering is that a thing that
all maine coons have?? Another thing is KissPurr (don't laugh at her
name all she does is kisses and purrs) lol
does not have really long hair so is she still considered a Maine
Coone? Any will her fur get longer over time??
Thanks in advanced for your help:)

Your cat is only a Maine Coon if it has the pedigree papers to prove it.
That doesn't mean to say it doesn't look like a Maine Coon. Cats with tabby
markings, pedigree or not, tend to have the 'M' on the forehead. My plain
old feral rescue tabby has a very well-defined 'M' on his forehead.

Cheers, helen s

jmcquown February 16th 05 02:05 PM

CatNipped wrote:
"Cheryl" wrote in message
[...]

I agree, beautiful "not Bengals" who sure could pass to us 'regular folks'
:) Everyone who sees a decent (natural light) photo has asked me if Persia
is a Russian Blue. She's got some in there somewhere, I just know it. But
like Cheryl, I wouldn't claim she was a true Blue.

Jill