CatBanter

-   -   Feline leukemia vaccine?? (http://www.catbanter.com/showthread.php?t=12082)

Cathy Friedmann July 5th 03 08:13 PM

As long as she's going outside, I'd personally have her get the FeLV
vaccine.

Cathy

("The Boy in the Bubble") Paul Simon

"Rita" wrote in message
I'd like to know what the opinion's are on the feline leukemia vaccine.
Whiskers was an indoor cat for her first eight months, but then I made
the mistake of taking her out on a halter and leash. She then started
driving me crazy as she wanted to be taken out all the time. I finally
gave in and let her go out by herself. Actually, she's pretty good. She
doesn't roam and stays mainly in the back yard. Maybe because when I did
take her out, I always said "NO"!, whenever she tried to go beyond the
property line. I also have a cat door so that she is free to come in and
eat whenever she feels like it which is about 10 times a day. :-) She is
not allowed out at night. That is a definite no-no and seems to be
something she understands. I do see a few cats that do come into my yard
every once in awhile and that makes me nervous. I lost my last cat to
feline leukemia about 20 years ago and this is the first cat I've had
since then. Thanks for any opinions you might have.

Rita

*~*SooZy*~* July 5th 03 09:05 PM

"Rita" wrote in message
[...]

yes I agree let her have FeLV

Cheryl July 5th 03 09:27 PM

Laura R. wrote:

Last, your vet should vary injection sites. For a quick
summary, see he

Laura

They should vary the injection sites for different vaccinations, not
for the same ones. FeLV should always be on the leg and the same leg
(left is recommended) for each booster. In the case of a sarcoma only
the one leg would have to be removed.

--
Cheryl

Karen Chuplis July 5th 03 11:44 PM

in article , Laura R. at
wrote on 7/5/03 4:39 PM:

circa Sat, 5 Jul 2003 16:27:55 -0400, in rec.pets.cats.health+behav,
Cheryl ) said,
Laura R. wrote:

Last, your vet should vary injection sites. For a quick
summary, see he

Laura

They should vary the injection sites for different vaccinations, not
for the same ones. FeLV should always be on the leg and the same leg
(left is recommended) for each booster. In the case of a sarcoma only
the one leg would have to be removed.

Which is what the link I pasted *says*. I gather you didn't bother
reading it before 'correcting'.

Laura

Chill. It did not read as a "correction", Laura. just added info. Do you
read every link everyone posts before you post info you may personally know?

Karen

MaryL July 6th 03 12:22 AM

"Rita" wrote in message
[...]

As some others have suggested, I would use the vaccine as long as the cat is
permitted to go outside. Best, however, would be if you could re-train the
cat to be indoor only and then discontinue the vaccine.

MaryL

Photos of Duffy and Holly (pictorial history of Duffy's integration into our
household):
Duffy, Part I: The Introduction -- http://tinyurl.com/8y54
Duffy, Part II: Life at Home -- http://tinyurl.com/8y56