CatBanter

-   -   At least the b@stard plead guilty (http://www.catbanter.com/showthread.php?t=82290)

Matthew August 20th 07 09:14 PM

At least the b@stard plead guilty

Falcons Quarterback Vick To Plead Guilty

http://www.local6.com/sports/1392966...01470208202007

Now lets see if the courts fail us again

Joy August 21st 07 12:55 AM

"Matthew" wrote in message
Falcons Quarterback Vick To Plead Guilty

http://www.local6.com/sports/1392966...01470208202007

Now lets see if the courts fail us again

Yup. The commentators said it will probably be like Paris Hilton - a little
jail time, then house arrest. Whatever happens, it should put a dent in his
career, if it isn't derailed completely. That will be some punishment.

Joy

Magic Mood Jeep August 21st 07 12:58 AM

"Matthew" wrote in message
Falcons Quarterback Vick To Plead Guilty

http://www.local6.com/sports/1392966...01470208202007

Now lets see if the courts fail us again

I am sooooooooooooo glad you used the proper term "Plead" or (correct
spelling is "Pled")!!!!!

It burns me that even on NATIONAL NEWS programs they will say "pleaded" for
the past tense of plead...huh? When did that become a word?

When someone flees from police, do they say flee'd afterwards, or fled?

Sometimes I think people need more elementary school grammar!

--
http://www.firstgiving.com/nalee1131964
About my charity:

Matthew August 21st 07 12:59 AM

"Joy" wrote in message
"Matthew" wrote in message
Falcons Quarterback Vick To Plead Guilty

http://www.local6.com/sports/1392966...01470208202007

Now lets see if the courts fail us again

Yup. The commentators said it will probably be like Paris Hilton - a
little jail time, then house arrest. Whatever happens, it should put a
dent in his career, if it isn't derailed completely. That will be some
punishment.

Joy

A little worse than that his football career is over no team will ever
want him. Who will hire him his sponsors will be gone. And some PETA
wacko will take him out

[email protected] August 21st 07 01:15 AM

Grammatical noodlings (was: At least the b@stard plead guilty)

Magic Mood Jeep wrote:

Falcons Quarterback Vick To Plead Guilty

I am sooooooooooooo glad you used the proper term "Plead" or (correct
spelling is "Pled")!!!!!

It burns me that even on NATIONAL NEWS programs they will say "pleaded" for
the past tense of plead...huh? When did that become a word?

Well first, the headline in the above quote is not in the past tense.
So "pled" would be the wrong spelling for that usage. It says "Vick
*To Plead* Guilty" (my emphasis). That's an infinitive, and it should
be spelled "plead", so it's OK.

But your post made me curious about the past tense, so I looked it up
on dictionary.com. It turns out that both "pleaded" and "pled" are
correct for the past tense of "plead".

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/plead

I've heard "pleaded" all my life, not just in the news or in conversation,
but in literature, too. It certainly sounds OK to me. (I think it might
be more common than "pled", although I've heard that too.)

Joyce

Matthew August 21st 07 01:33 AM

wrote in message
Magic Mood Jeep wrote:

[...]

After I posted that I thought about it and thought I had it in the wrong
pretense. Personally I really does not bother me If I misspell or improper
grammar something on the internet as long as the point gets across. Now
something that is official that is different. And that is not a insult
against anyone so please don't think so.

In this day and age we are lucky that the kids and adults even make it out
of school knowing their name.

The guy that I am going to hopefully going into business with when my
stores transition to the other people. Tells me when the kids call to get a
price on a limo or other transportation. He tells them lets say a 10
passenger goes for lets say $600.00 for 6 hours. The kids who are seniors
and juniors always ask how much is that per person.

Jack Campin - bogus address August 21st 07 01:40 AM

At least the b@stard plead guilty

I am sooooooooooooo glad you used the proper term "Plead" or (correct
spelling is "Pled")!!!!!
It burns me that even on NATIONAL NEWS programs they will say "pleaded"
for the past tense of plead...huh? When did that become a word?

According to the Oxford English Dictionary, sometime before 1482. The OED
(1st edition) describes "pled" as only current in Scots and dialect, with
"pleaded" the preferred form in England. Both are equally acceptable in
present-day Scotland (I've just looked in a couple of Scots law books).

When someone flees from police, do they say flee'd afterwards, or
fled?

This one has a very interesting history (see the OED). "Fleed" has
never been common, but it goes back to 1380.

Sometimes I think people need more elementary school grammar!

This isn't about grammar, it's about idiosyncratic features in the
evolution of words - in the case of "flee", VERY idiosyncratic and
not at all elementary.

[email protected] August 21st 07 02:28 AM

Jack Campin - bogus address wrote:

According to the Oxford English Dictionary, sometime before 1482. The OED
(1st edition) describes "pled" as only current in Scots and dialect, with
"pleaded" the preferred form in England. Both are equally acceptable in
present-day Scotland (I've just looked in a couple of Scots law books).

"Pleaded" is quite common in the USA, too, which is the version of English
I assume Magic speaks.

When someone flees from police, do they say flee'd afterwards, or
fled?

This one has a very interesting history (see the OED). "Fleed" has
never been common, but it goes back to 1380.

Hey, it's *English*. It's not supposed to make sense! :)

Joyce

Victor Martinez August 21st 07 02:50 AM

wrote:
Hey, it's *English*. It's not supposed to make sense! :)

Amen!

Victor, a non-native speaker :)

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Email me he

Yowie August 21st 07 05:22 AM

wrote in message
Magic Mood Jeep wrote:

[...]

The one that annoys me the most is "drug" being used as the past tense of
"drag". Eg, "I went to the shops and my husband drug along behind me". Of
all the bad grammar, thats the one I find most painful to my ears.

Yowie