CatBanter

-   -   Under the ice (http://www.catbanter.com/showthread.php?t=113557)

Community Kitties[_3_] September 8th 17 07:36 PM

Under the ice

Once everybody has teleported back to the Antarctic community's main
tunnels, Lars dashes off. A few minutes later a large, very fluffy
kitty appears.

Lars: Hi, efurrybody. Dis is Fernando, him is da mayor of IceVillage.

Fernando, dis is Francesca da
Fierce, an dis is Rebecca, an Aed, an Morgana, an Ranger, an

DaisyChan, an Iowna, an Cash. Dey all
rescued usses!

Fernando: Hihi, firiends. Fangu for bring dem home, We had been

trying to fink of ways to get them
home, but hadn't come up wif any ideas yet. Ms. Fierce, Lars says dat

you flew da big catacopter. Is dat
da Harri Roadcat logo I saw on da side?

Francesca: Yep, dat is one of the late Harri Roadcat's fleet. We

bringed it cuz it was big enough to carry
a lot of kitties and a lot of supplies. We din't know of you guys was

ok wif your food supplies, an we
bringed some tools too.

Aed: Fernando, I come from the Second World Community - we live in a

realm under the earth and we
have visited most of the known kitty communities. Our legends mention

a community that lived under
the ice and snow, but it also says that we lost contact many

generations ago. Would that by any chance
be your catmunity?

Fernando: I fink so! Our history tells us about a time when we were

free to leave this world of tunnels
and caves and visit all over, but the ice tunnel that we passed

through to get out of this area collapsed
a furry long time ago. Our historians haf found what dey fink is da

tunnel that was used, but no matter
how much digging we do we never clear away enough ice. We has

colcanic steam heat to keep our l
iving quarters comfy, but when we try to run steam hoses to da

collapsed tunnel da steam gets too cold
to help by da time it gets to da ice wall.

[Francesca disappears quietly]

Did I hear one of youz talking about holding a party or somefing

here? We duz haf a great ballroom dat
we luv to use. Would it be big enuf for youz?

[Moments later Francesca returns, dragging a couple of portable
teleporters with her ]

Fernando: Mz Fierce, what is doze fings?

Francesca: Call me Francesca, please. Deze are teleporters. We can use
dem to allow you to melt the collapsed ice out of your tunnel.

Fernando: Really? Do dey get hot?

Francesca: Nope. I'll show you. Please lead the way to shere your
collapsed tunnel is.

[ Fernando leads the assembled group deeper into the ice shelf. The air
remains reasonably warm, as an overhead pipe seems to be radioating
some heat. Several turns later, Fernando stops at the foot of a whole
lot of fallen ice.

Francesca whistels a little bit as she sets up and adjusts one of the
portable 'porters then makes some notes.]

Francesca: Ok, that end is done. Now please lead the way to your source
of your steam.

[ Fernando again leads teh group of kitties through what feels like
miles of tunnels. As they walk, the kitties see side rooms with
sleeping pads, rooms set up with kitten toys, workshops, some rooms
with scientific equipment, a couple of machine shops, and other rooms
with closed doors. They finally walk into a large room with a steamy
atmosphere.

Francesca see some pools of steaming water with kitties soaking in
them, and near the center of the room a large pipe disapperas into the
ice floor. The large pipe splits into several smaller pipes, one of
which has a hose fitting. This pipe has a heavily insulated hose
attached to it.

Francesca set up the second portable 'porter just in front of the
coiled-up hose. She makes a few adjustments and makes aa few more
notes.]

Francesca: Ok, Mister Mayor, we'z ready to go. I see some worker
kittehs over there. Could you perhaps spare them for a little while?

[Fernando whistles to attract the attention of the worker kittehs, then
gestures for them to come over. ]

Francesca: Hi! Could you please pick one end of dat hose and follow me?

[The first worker kitty grabs the end of the hose. Francesca steps into
the mouth of the 'porter. The worker kitteh looks surprised, but
follows her. When he comes out the other side immediately in front of
the collapsed ice wall he is startled.

Francesca steps back through the porter, and when she emerges on the
other side she signals to the other worker kitty to open the steam
valve. As the valve is opened, everybody hears a startled meow from the
first worker kitty. When Francesca steps back through the porter (with
everybody tagging along behind), she sees the first worker kitty
directing the steam hose at the collapsed ice wall, quickly melting the
ice.

Fernando opens a catellite phone and makes a brief call. Moments later
a burly large kitty comes running up to the group.]

Fernando: Miz - er, Francesca, dis is Angus. He's our chief engineer.

[Francesca and Angus touch noses.'

Angus: How is it that this rig is getting hot steam all the way over
here? When we;ve tried this before the steam always cools before it
travels this far.

Francesca: Itz simple. We use dese teleporters. Da hose goes in da far
side then comes out dis side, and when it gets here da steam has only
travlled the distance from the source to the first 'porter, then
distance from da second 'porter to the ice wall. Voila, hot steam!

[Angus draws Francesca aside to talk about teleporters. ]

Fernando: Wow, we might akchooly be able to use dat tunnel again soon -
cool! While dey are working on dat, can I show all of you kitties
around?

cshenk September 9th 17 09:58 PM

Under the ice

Community Kitties wrote in rec.pets.cats.community:

[...]

Zoot, Clem and Cleo follow Daisy-Chan to a melty spot along the tunnel.
They start digging. Soon others join in. Zoot is particuarily good at
moving melty snow to the side to make rails. Iowna checks and has them
reinforced as they go along.

Cash meantime works with 2 local kittahs to shape the ice to fit along
the walls and make a rail for the outer viewing chamber that looks to
the sky.

Others snag the freed up ice and make stairs along the slope to the
tunnel.

Slowly a stair well with steps develops down to the tunnel that
collapsed. It has one addition it never had before. A sort of slolum
channel to the side and ready to go so the Penguins can make a visit in
their own style!

As the steam works from the inside, more and more melty slush becomes
available...

Iowna shivvers though as a bit of ice falls. They need to reinforce
the tunnel. She thinks hard then an idea appears. She grabs
Franchesca for a consult.

They need an arch with hard ice in wedges, cut just so, to keep the new
opening able to hold the weight of the snow/ice above. Iowna draws out
plans and rhwy start cutting the right ice to angles and keystones.

cshenk September 10th 17 07:47 PM

Under the ice

cshenk wrote in rec.pets.cats.community:

[...]

Zoot gathers some buddies around Iowna. They help cut ice to blocks.
Iowna explained they need old hard ice, not new snow ice.

They chop it and scoot it with their feets. Daisy-chan and bitty
kitties use their claws to shape it. Keystones are carefully slid in to
hold it all in place then they start the next set. This tunnel will
not collapse again once they dig it out.

They now have 12 feet of an estimated 20 archway that needs to be done.
They can hear kittah feet on the other end removing slush as steam
warms it.

Cash as emergency deputy doggie uses a cataporter to the other side and
explains arches. A very important kittah inside has him bring Iowna in
to show arch stones.

Iowna and Daisy-chan port over and show it and production starts on the
inner side.

Iowna shivvers and the venerable kittah notes it. He's a bit chilled
too. 'Hi, I am Roscoe. We've been here so long, that I am not sure
what you are but maybe old legends say you are a rescue doggie?'

Iowna sniffs Roscoe in a friendly way then a bare lick at the nose and
nodds. She starts to speak but a big sneeze happens first then she
shivvers a bit.

Roscoe takes her to a warm pool of water for a drink, then a soft bed
of blankets made of cat fur pounded to felt and covered with a knitted
blanket. Roscoe yawns as Iowna cuddles in and decides he's not a
racist so cuddles in with her to keep her warm. His last thought that
night as he cuddles into her warmth (and her into his) is that the
tunnel will be safe and open when they wake up. The music of their
purrs and snores is unique there but it fits.

ssnnnooozzzeee

Community Kitties[_3_] September 11th 17 01:47 PM

Under the ice

[...]

Kitties, doggies, and penguins continue to melt icefall with the steam
hose, and excavate the loose blocks that fall around them. With the
architectural support taught by Iowna, the newly reopening tunnel
continues to grow, betting reinforced as it goes.

After what seems like an eternity but is likely only half a day or so,
the ice wall collapses entirely and reveals the kitty team digging from
the other side. As the two teams meet, the workers on both sides
realize that the two groups are strangers to each other. Each team puts
out a call to their leaders, and soon Fernando arrives accompanied by
Iad and Morgana.

Iad and Morgana immediately recognize the leaders of the other team as
Second Workd kitties.

Iad: Zacck, is that you?

Zacck: Yeppers! How did you get on that side? And who are these kitties
- umm, and penguins and goggies?

[Iad makes a call on his catellite phone. A few minutes later a very
old kitty arrives, along with two assistants. ]

Fernando, I'd like to introduce you to FluffMuzzle. He's our head
librarian and archivist. I think you might find what he has to say
interesting!

Fluffmuzzle: Err, Fernando, is it? Welcome! Aed told me of the trip
they had planned to try to help you all with the iceberg issue. I and
my assistants have been poring over the archives. We have found tales
from our antiquity that speak of Second World kitties communing with
kitties from a land of ice and fire. We have always assumed these tales
were mere myth, but it now appears that they were true. Us of the
Second World used to trade and visit with your community on a regular
basis. But a very long time ago, many, many generations ago, the
passageway connecting our two worlds collapsed. Workers on our side
were unable to dig out the collapsed portion, and knowlege of your land
passed from the common memory.

Fernando: We too have legends like this! Our legends speak of regular
trade wif kitties living in homes that aren't cut from the ice. But we
also assumed these were just fantasies. This is too cool!

[Fernando and FluffMuzzle sit down to talk and reestablish trade
between their communities. Whle they do, Second World kitties swarm
into the Antarctic tunnels, and Antarctic kitties dash into the Second
World kitties to explore and meet new friends. Sammy finally appears
and meows loudly.]

Sammy: Everybody, we'z laid out a banquet to celebrate deze communities
getting in touch again. Up in da ballroom we'z set up a bunch of tables
and benches and cushions, an FluffyKitz has set out a buffet of roast
beast, grilled ear of sooven, grilled salmonfishies, duckbird, chicken,
and a whole bunch of other goodies. Anyone who is innerested, come on
along! You'z all invited - Antarctic kitties, Second World kitties,
First World community kitties, goggies, penguins, and whoever or
whatever else wants to join usses.

cshenk September 11th 17 10:39 PM

Under the ice

[...]

Roscoe and Iowna wake to the happy calls. Being both elderly, they
head to the kitty powder room first, then join the group. Iowna checks
the keystones of the arches and nodds in satisfaction. They will last
for centuries.

FluffMuzzle corners her to fill in some archives and they happily
wander off discussing the mathmatics of it all as he jots notes down
and measures things until he understands the proportions and can
recreate them. Roscoe chuckles then sees a big tan and white male
doggie next to him doing same as he watches them wander off.

They turn to one another to greet when both of their tummies rumble.
"I'm Cash, lets go eat!". "I'm Roscoe, this way!" as they follow their
noses.

cshenk September 11th 17 10:44 PM

Internal note

Community Kitties wrote in rec.pets.cats.community:

Sammy: Everybody, we'z laid out a banquet to celebrate deze
communities getting in touch again. Up in da ballroom we'z set up a
bunch of tables and benches and cushions, an FluffyKitz has set out a
buffet of roast beast, grilled ear of sooven, grilled salmonfishies,
duckbird, chicken, and a whole bunch of other goodies. Anyone who is
innerested, come on along! You'z all invited - Antarctic kitties,
Second World kitties, First World community kitties, goggies,
penguins, and whoever or whatever else wants to join usses.

Just for planning purposes, I assume this ballroom is internal to the
blocked spot so not the one outside it that you can see the moon from?
Or do they have a second one where you can do that? Being able to see
the moon rise and set is not critical. Some places, it was 'felt' but
not seen and worked fine.

Sundance and/or Rebecca September 12th 17 12:49 AM

Internal note

We duz need sumplace whare we kan see da sky, so dat we kan see da rainbow brij.

Rebecca

cshenk September 12th 17 12:56 AM

Internal note

Sundance and/or Rebecca wrote in rec.pets.cats.community:

We duz need sumplace whare we kan see da sky, so dat we kan see da
rainbow brij.

Rebecca

Yup, but there was one where a balcony was used? Anyways, we have one
with an open top. I'll revise to a clear ice top they can see though
so they aren't all freezing (grin). WE can stage at the other spot (if
diferent) and then move to the open one just like we've moved into/out
of caves and such.

Carol

Dan Mahoney[_2_] September 12th 17 01:13 PM

Internal note

On 2017-09-11 23:56:59 +0000, cshenk said:

Sundance and/or Rebecca wrote in rec.pets.cats.community:

We duz need sumplace whare we kan see da sky, so dat we kan see da
rainbow brij.

Rebecca

Yup, but there was one where a balcony was used? Anyways, we have one
with an open top. I'll revise to a clear ice top they can see though
so they aren't all freezing (grin). WE can stage at the other spot (if
diferent) and then move to the open one just like we've moved into/out
of caves and such.

Carol

Or several very inventive kitties could collaborate on a way to rig
multiple teleporters to teleport the ice from the top of the enclosed
room, giving it exposure to the sky, then 'port the ice cap back when
the event is over.

Sundance and/or Rebecca September 12th 17 08:19 PM

Internal note

Yup. Eethur of those wud work.

(Hey, I kan see dis post frum Unka Dan!)

Rebecca