Old May 3rd 12, 11:42 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Cheryl[_5_]

Default Wildlifes

On 2012-05-02 9:39 PM, Will in New Haven wrote:

Oh, they _can_ interbreed with wolves and there is plenty of genomic
evidence that they have in the past. However, wolves are very good at
thinning out coyote populations and preventing coyote migration into
their territory. The reintroduction of wolves to Yellowstone and
nearby areas was a tragedy for coyotes. They have to lay very low
because wolves will run them down relentlessly and kill them. On other
occasions, the same wolves will ignore coyotes but coyotes can't count
on it.

Sashi would not have had much luck with wolves.

We shouldn't have killed off the Newfoundland wolf in the 19th century,
but it's too late to undo that.

Of course, there are lots of wolves in Labrador....for some reason, they
don't seem to float down on the ice and come ashore on the island
portion of the province, as the newsreaders call our bit. Polar bears
do, quite regularly. So do Arctic foxes, less often, but they sometimes
have rabies and as a result been killed if they come ashore because they
ruined our rabies-free status and pose a risk to our local red foxes,
not to mention pets, in the northern areas where they were spotted. But
not the wolves; they stay back in Labrador.

Some sheep farmers tried various solutions (guard animals etc), but
others have gotten out of raising sheep altogether because of those
coyotes. Apparently, they're very fond of lamb, along with cat, dog, etc.

--
Cheryl