Old September 4th 07, 03:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Sheelagh >o

Default pure breed?

On 3 Sep, 23:17, wrote:
I have adopted a siamese cat form the humain society. is there any way
to tell if its pure bred? i.e blood/dna tests?

thanks

keaver

I used to breed, & the reason that there is so much paperwork
involved, is because of the expense involved in determining the true
pure genetics of the cat in question. Each breed has a number & letter
next to their breed & colouring. For instance a Siamese seal point is
a 24. And a blue point Siamese is a 24a. When I was breeding, we had
to rely on the integrity of the breeder to detail the parentage
thoroughly, so that we could detail a pedigree & register the cats
with the GCCF. If, for instance a breeder has a mother cat who was
caught in season by her father, you end up with a kitten that has so
many potential faults, that it is kinder to abort the litter than
allow them to be born.( By expensive, I am talking thousands of
dollars or pound by the way!!)

Every word that everyone here has told you about all breeds having
their faults, is true. An example of this is that in inbred Ragdoll
can take up to 2 years to reveal that the Ragdoll cat has immune
deficiency, so you don't find out there is a problem until you have
had over 2 years to bond with & love your cat. Of course, by that
stage when you find out that this has happened, it is too late to do
anything to help your beloved cat.

It does happen too. there are unscrupulous breeders who don't give one
fig whether that kitten is fathered by it's grand Sire, & the lie &
say that the father is a different cat altogether. Of course, if they
are caught, the penalties are severe, but that doesn't do anything to
salvage the kitten.
..
In view of this, I agree with everyone else. You have a wonderful cat
whom you love dearly, so if you chose to call him a Siamese, then do!
What difference does a piece of paper make to a cat who also
desperately wants to be loved for who he is rather than what he is? My
advice to you would be, don't worry whether he is a pure breed or not.
it is only ever important to you if you intend to breed from that cat,
& as this is not your intention, then it simply isn't important....

Now to the important thing. When can we expect photos of this
wonderful puss cat? looking forward to them)
Purrs & leg weaves,
Sheelagh"o"