Old July 26th 08, 02:06 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

Default Heat Pump and A/C (was: Abelard = 6.6 lbs.)

On Jul 25, 7:30*pm, outsider wrote:
wrote :

I love how this subject line typifies thread drift on RPCA.

Yeah.

outsider wrote:

I think in the US we might say heat pump for a reversable A/C but
maybe folks with those even say heat and A/C according to what mode
they are running. *Aren't you (Joyce) in a "heat pump" area?

Hmm, I'm not sure what that means. In my apartment building, we have
electric heat.

Heat pumps are popular where the need for A/C is high but the need for heat
is not great. *In those locations heat pumps are economical compared to
other sources but I don't think they can produce enough heat for northern
locations. *I think that is how it works.

We have a heat pump. Like you said, it's great in the summer, but when
it's really frigid outdoors, it doesn't seem to warm the house well.
Normal operation when it's
really cold is that it blows lukewarm air, constantly. You never get a
blast of hot
air like you do with a gas furnace. It seems very efficient though;
our bills are much lower than neighbors with regular electric central
heat.

Sherry

Sherry