Old July 2nd 04, 11:01 AM
Wendy

"Rhonda" wrote in message
Wow, six of them!

A couple of years ago, my sig. trapped three at his job. Mom-cat was
later captured and spayed by a rescue group.

The kitties were judged to be about 10 weeks old. They hissed at us and
hid immediately. We kept all three in our bathroom for several weeks.

We let them hide in a box or the drawers without bothering them for the
first day. After that, we spent lots and lots of time with them, just
sitting and gently talking to them, getting them used to humans.

After a few days, I could lay my hand close to them and even touch one
of them without a hiss. The vet gave us good advice -- move slowly.
Don't use jerky motions or try to grab a fleeing cat. Any sudden
movement by us sent them flying.

I also started playing with them with a toy on a long string. They were
so tempted by that, they finally would thrust a paw out of the box while
I was there. Eventually, they all started playing, they couldn't help
themselves. Finally, I could pet them, and after a week or more, I could
pick one or two up (very slowly again.) By the second week, they were
starting to understand, and like, getting some affection.

We found a happy home for one kitten. He is still skittish to new people
and new sounds, but very loving to his human. We kept two. One of ours
is almost normal, lounging on the couch, a fairly relaxed cat. The other
one is skittish, but very affectionate. She will always be a flighty
cat, but is bright, alert, and happy.

Good luck with your guys!

Rhonda

This morning I've been able to gently stoke all their heads. Even the most
suspicious one, the gray and white, decided that getting his head stroked
wasn't necessarily a bad thing. The one little black and white let me tickle
him under the chin and started leaning into it until he realized what he was
doing. He's even got a little purring action going there. He's the most laid
back of the bunch.