Old August 4th 03, 01:26 PM
Bob Brenchley.

On Sun, 03 Aug 2003 14:47:42 GMT, Hope Munro Smith
wrote:

I've taken on two cats in the past few years because their owners were
forced to move to a home unsuitable for a cat. One, Penny, stayed two
years until her old owners were able to find a home in a safer area.
The other, Floss, had an owner that was going into residential care, I
had her for two months while we found someone in the area who was
happy to take her on. As she was an older cat (9 or 10 if I recall) I
wanted a home close to where she was used to roaming. I still see her
every now and again, at 16+ she is still doing well.

A lady who lives in our neighborhood as built a "cat run" -- basically
she has encased her entire backyard in fencing with a sort of fencing
"roof" so that the cats can be outside but can't leave the yard.
It took her *forever* I'm sure, but her cats are completely safe from
cars and predators.

Cats are NOT cage animals, however large the cage.

If you live in an area where, for whatever reason, you feel unable to
allow a healthy cat its freedom to roam for at least some time each
day (and only you can judge your area) then don't have a cat. To have
a healthy cat, knowing you will keep it in 24/7 marks you are being
cruel, selfish, or both.

--
Bob.

You have not been charged for this lesson. Please pass it to all your
friends so they may learn as well.