Old September 13th 13, 05:26 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,free.usenet,free.spirit
John Doe

Default Upside down packaging tape, no more chewing on electrical cords

I highly recommend not taking this silly person's advice
on anything you don't already know...

From: "Bill Graham" weg9 comcast.net
Newsgroups: rec.pets.cats.health+behav,free.usenet,free.spirit
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2013 18:50:20 -0700

John Doe wrote:
Full of **** up to its eyebrows...

From: infodex mindspring.com
Newsgroups: rec.pets.cats.health+behav,free.usenet,free.spirit
Subject: Upside down packaging tape, no more chewing on
electrical cords
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2013 23:44:14 -0400
free.usenet:4635455 free.spirit:1106

On Wed, 11 Sep 2013 03:03:07 +0000 (UTC), John Doe
jdoe usenetlove.invalid wrote:

If you believe that you can stick your hand into an operational
table saw blade without getting cut, you are extremely nave.

FWIW, I've seen video demonstrations several times over the past few
years, though to be fair the tests are conducted with raw hot dogs
and
not human fingers. Don't ask me to explain the electronics of it.

The saw blade is isolated from ground. The operator is not. When the
operator touches the saw blade some ground current is drawn. Even if a very
small amount of this current is detected, it is amplified and used to open
the breaker to the saw, and energise the device that stops the blade. This
happens so fast that the blade is stopped in less than 1/10 of a tooth
distance, so the operator's fingers aren't harmed.

But the main point of this discuwsion concerned opening the breaker so fast
thqt the cat (or chilod) isn't harmed. this part is easy compared with
mechanically stopping the saw blade. These GFI's really work well, and are
very useful. The breaker opens so fast that you don't even feel any slight
shock.