Old June 24th 16, 09:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

Default Follow-up (WAS: I Do Not Understand My Neighbor)

jmcquown wrote:

On 6/23/2016 5:21 PM, Je?us wrote:
On Thu, 23 Jun 2016 16:07:32 -0400, jmcquown
wrote:

On 6/21/2016 10:11 PM, jmcquown wrote:

All I could think was Blaze's owner told you NOT to let him out. It's
not your decision. He's not your cat!

Any thoughts?

(I don't plan on letting her cat-sit for Buffy should I ever need it.)

Jill

Guess who knocked on my door this morning asking if I'd seen Blaze?

Yep, she let the cat out while she was doing some weeding by one of her
patios. She went inside for a minute and when she went back outside he
was gone. (Imagine that! A cat wandering off!)

Sorry, I haven't seen him. I'd have known if Buffy saw him. LOL

Fortunately, she called me about 30 minutes later to tell me he'd come back.

One of these days she's going to pull this trick with a cat that will
*not* find its' way back. Good luck explaining that to the person who
trusted her with their beloved cat.

It's an awkward situation, what with her being your neighbour.
I don't think I could help but warn any people I knew that were
trusting her to take care of their furballs.

I've thought about that. I don't know who her "clients" are. No idea
who is owned by Blaze.

And then there is the fact I don't want to alienate her. She's a ditz,
obviously, or determined to be convinced all cats are outdoor cats.

But she's been a wonderful neighbor. I don't want to alienate her.

Have you talked to her about it at all? Voiced your concerns? It wouldn't
have to be expressed as a criticism of her. You could frame it like, "I'm
concerned that you will be liable, have you considered what would happen
if someone's cat died because you let them outside when they asked you
not to?" So what I'm suggesting is that you approach her like you're on
her side and you're concerned that she's leaving herself open to big
trouble. That might motivate her to stop letting them out, without feeling
alienated.

--
Joyce

What I look forward to, is continued immaturity, followed by death.
-- Dave Barry