Old June 26th 16, 01:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default I Do Not Understand My Neighbor

On 6/24/2016 8:07 AM, Judith Latham wrote:
In article ,
jmcquown wrote:

This afternoon there was a huge orange tabby which came wandering over
from her house. I knew immediately... but I called her, all innocent:
have you seen a really large orange tabby out back? "Oh, that's Blaze.
I'm cat-sitting."

She specifically told me the owner does NOT want him going outside. She
claims he escaped the first day and she feared she lost him. (I have NO
idea why she is not taking care of these cats in their own homes.) She
found him but said, "He likes it! outside!" So she let him out when she
was on the patio. "I told him to say where I could see him." Oh sure,
he'll obey you. WTH?

All I could think was Blaze's owner told you NOT to let him out. It's
not your decision. He's not your cat!

Any thoughts?

(I don't plan on letting her cat-sit for Buffy should I ever need it.)

Jill

She should certainly not go against the owner's wishes. I'm sure the owner
wouldn't leave her to care for the cat if they knew she let it out. It's
dangerous to let a cat out when it's not used to it.

Judith

I agree, Judith. Unfortunately she seems to think she knows better.

Someone else pointed out less dire consequences but fairly obvious: what
if the cat comes home with fleas? The owner will certainly wonder why
an indoor cat suddenly needs to be treated for fleas.

Jill