Old August 30th 06, 08:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.rescue
John Ross Mc Master

Default Full disclosure

On Wed, 30 Aug 2006 15:31:49 -0400, Richard Evans
wrote:

How much do you tell a prospective adopter about a cat's quirks?

I feel a certain obligation to give an adopter an accurate profile of
a cat's personality, including any quirks, which most cats have.
Unfortunately, such revelation can skewer an adoption.

People seem to want generic kitties, all cute and cuddly all the time.
Very few fit that bill.

I've just taken in another foster that poses a dilemma.

She's a tiny orange tabby, sweet as she can be... up to a point. She
will get up on your lap, all lovey with head butts and kisses, then at
some arbitrary point she hisses and jumps away.

To me, this is just a personalty quirk, but to prospective adopters it
may be a deal killer.

How honest should I be?

Tiny tabby?
Say the orange tabby was separated from its mother at too young an
age, no fault of yours. Say that she needs a loving family who will
put up with her occasional hisses, but she is generally a loving
kitten.