Old November 30th 08, 04:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
jmc

Default Underground radio type fences

Suddenly, without warning, Zy exclaimed (11/29/2008 3:29 PM):
Recently moved from a rural home to a suburban home about 1 year ago. My 2
cats previously had an indoor-outdoor lifestyle. Ever since the move they've
both been bored and depressed while living indoors only. One of them (a 5
year old) is now unhealthily bony. So I'd like to enable them to go outside,
at least while I'm also outside with them. However, they must stay confined
to the rear yard. When we lived in the rural area, a fence wasn't necessary
as they never wandered outside the expansive property boundaries, and if
they weren't in close proximity to the house, they would return for dinner
via my loud whistle call.

If any of you have any experience with those buried cable fence systems
(invisible; utilizing an electronic cat collar), please remark. I'd be
willing to obtain a system if it sounds like it could be reliable.

Zy, I know little about the buried cable fences, but I've heard they are
ineffective for cats. Instead, I'd suggest some sort of outdoor
enclosure - you can buy them, or make them yourself.

There's a few options in he

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...fm?c=3261+2053

I've seen the Kittywalk Carnival versions, they're bigger than the
pictures suggest - almost bought one for Meep.

There are also companies that will make them for you, though I don't
know of any offhand.

Some will built really elaborate structures that are accessible by a cat
door in a door - or a window.

Here's one I quite like: http://www.just4cats.com/post5.html from
http://www.just4cats.com/page7.html

They supply the drawings, you build the enclosure.

You are doing the right thing by not letting them outside in suburbia!
Suburbia is a very dangerous place for cats, even if you live on a
cul-de-sac and have good neighbors.

Do you have a deck? Another option might be screening it in - the
self-proclaimed "crazy cat lady" from two doors down has done that.

jmc