Old September 23rd 05, 08:23 PM
jmcquown

Jo Firey wrote:
"KittyLady" wrote in message
ups.com...
Thanks for posting this Jeanne!
I agree that it was very unfair to leave the pets behind. To many
people view pets as replaceable or not as valuable to human life.
They are wrong. I have give this much though and if I was put in a
situation where I had to evacuate and leave my pets I don't think I
could do it. Were I go my babies go. Both human and furbaby.
SKritches,
KittyLady

My understanding was pets - in carriers - could be evacuated. While
that makes good sense to me, it is going to upset a lot of folks and
won't address a big part of the problem.

(No I don't want to get on the same bus with my neighbor's pit bull.)

Jo

Sounds problematic. It wouldn't be easy to carry a crate containing a large
dog onto a bus, not to mention where to put the crate. When at the art show
last week there was a man walking an English Bull Mastiff - that dog was
under 2 years old and weighed 180 lbs. A crate for that dog would take up 2
rows of seats.

I'm glad some inroads are being made in the evacuation laws but some things
just have to be common sense. If you have a violent or angry animal (and I
know everyone thinks theirs are not) you shouldn't subject the general
public to them, particularly not a bus full of people. Find some other way
to get out; do some forward thinking and have arrangements for the first
sign of emergency. If you live in a hurricane prone area, you should have
already done that, IMHO. Or do like CN and make sure you have the supplies
to ride things out. I'm still very surprised some residents of Louisiana
just sat back thinking there was no way Katrina could be a bad storm. I'm
not one to watch the news every day but even *I* knew she wasn't going to
give them a kiss on the cheek and mildly slink away.

I still have no idea if my former fiance was down there for Katrina. I have
no way to get in touch with him. His family was in Bay St. Louis, MS. I
know that's pretty much gone.

Jill