Old September 24th 05, 04:35 PM
jmcquown

Karen wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message

Sounds problematic. It wouldn't be easy to carry a crate containing
a large dog onto a bus, not to mention where to put the crate. When
at the art show last week there was a man walking an English Bull
Mastiff - that dog was under 2 years old and weighed 180 lbs. A
crate for that dog would take up 2 rows of seats.

I'm glad some inroads are being made in the evacuation laws but some
things just have to be common sense. If you have a violent or angry
animal (and I know everyone thinks theirs are not) you shouldn't
subject the general public to them, particularly not a bus full of
people. Find some other way to get out; do some forward thinking
and have arrangements for the first sign of emergency. If you live
in a hurricane prone area, you should have already done that, IMHO.
Or do like CN and make sure you have the supplies to ride things
out. I'm still very surprised some residents of Louisiana just sat
back thinking there was no way Katrina could be a bad storm. I'm
not one to watch the news every day but even *I* knew she wasn't
going to give them a kiss on the cheek and mildly slink away.

I still have no idea if my former fiance was down there for Katrina.
I have no way to get in touch with him. His family was in Bay St.
Louis, MS. I know that's pretty much gone.

Jill

Well, I think the main thing is that the *shelters* would be set up
with a corresponding animal shelter. That alone would alleviate a lot
of the problem. Many people just believed their pets would be taken
an put to sleep. The TRULY believed this. If that step alone was put
in place, people would probably be able to take it from there.

I agree. I was horrified to hear people were being told they couldn't bring
their pets to the human shelters and there were no animal shelters set up to
take them until after it was over. That's the very first step to making
this sort of disaster plan work.

Jill