Old September 24th 05, 07:02 PM

On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 22:28:05 -0500, Jeanne Hedge
wrote:

I don't know if this has already been mentioned here. If so, I
apologize for the repost, but I just saw it tonight.

Legislation would require pet to be included in evacuations
More would leave if pets allowed, lawmakers say

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Federal disaster grants to state and local
governments should be conditioned on how they accommodate pets in
their evacuation plans, say lawmakers disturbed that some Hurricane
Katrina victims refused to leave home because they couldn't take their
animals with them.

"I cannot help but wonder how many more people could have been saved
had they been able to take their pets," Rep. Tom Lantos, D-California,
said Thursday.

Lantos and Reps. Christopher Shays, R-Connecticut, and Barney Frank,
D-Massaschusetts, are sponsoring a bill that would require that state
and local disaster preparedness plans required for Federal Emergency
Management Agency funding include provisions for household pets and
service animals.

The complete article is at
http://www.cnn.com/2005/POLITICS/09/....ap/index.html

Jeanne Hedge, as directed by Natasha

http://www.jhedge.com

I think this is a long-overdue piece of legislation. Hurrah for
Lantos and Shays!

Ginger-lyn

Home Pages:
http://www.spiritrealm.com/summer/