Old August 26th 04, 12:21 PM
J. Martin

We use the royal canin so and Hills x/d for preventing oxalate stones.
There is controversey about the royal canin's effectiveness since it
acidifies the urine thereby supposedly preventing both types of stones.
Some internists are suspicious of the claims that the same food can prevent
both types. Therefore my choice would be the x/d. I strongly encourage
feeding only the canned food version and discontuing kibble altogether.
Canned food creates a more dilute urine in which stones are less likely to
form.
"Mike" wrote in message
om...
I need some food information for cats with Oxalate stones. I read
somewhere that cats with Struvite crystals should eat a meat based
diet and cats with Oxalate stones should eat a plant based diet. I was
always under the impression that plant based diets weren't very good
for cats so now I'm confused. Could someone clear this up for me? What
exactly does a plant based diet mean?

I'm also looking for the dry foods available for prevention of Oxalate
stones. It appears that there aren't that many, I only found four. The
ones I found are Hill's Prescription X/D, IVD Therapeutic Control,
Waltham/Royal Canin Urinary SO, and Eukanuba/Iams PH/O. Of these four
does anyone think one is better than the others? It looks like the X/D
aims for a urine PH of 6.6-6.8 while the others aim for 6.1-6.9. I
don't which is better. Also, even if the cat should be eating a plant
based diet, it seems like there's a little too much corn in these
foods.

Does anyone have any suggestions or opinions they'd like to share with
me? BTW, I will be talking with the veterinarian about this but I just
want to gather information before I do so I know exactly what's going
on.