Old December 16th 03, 11:33 PM
Sharon Talbert

Same with the City of Seattle shelter. They gave up the "prepaid" spay a
couple of decades ago and moved to "early" sterilization, with kittens and
puppies done by 8 weeks. (Younger animals are fostered until they are
adoption age.)

Sharon Talbert
Friends of Campus Cats

On Wed, 10 Dec 2003, Joe Pitt wrote:

The SPCA in my area, Central Florida, stopped doing that. They found that
although there was no additional cost they animals weren't being altered.
Then people brought in the kittens (and puppies) from the animal they were
supposed to get altered. Now EVERYTHING is altered before going out the
door. You pick out your new friend and come back in a day or two to pick
them up.

--
Joe
http://www.jwpitt.com/cats.htm

"lakinapook" wrote in message
om...
I know the non profit no kill shelters will spay or neuter the animal
before adoption if possible, if not, then you can bring the animal in
at a later time and have them altered for no additional adoption fee.
I believe that our local Humane Society has the same policy. A friend
of mine adopted from there and brought her cat back to be spayed.

"M.C. Mullen" wrote in message

| Btw, I think most (if not all) large shelters DO alter before an

animal is
| made available for adoption, or at the very least before they go home.

| know a few middle-of-nowhere shelters that do this as well, even

though
the
| animals have to be transported an hour each way to get the surgery

done.
| We're lucky enough to have a fantastic vet school in town, and some of

the
| students come in and even spay and neuter rats for us, now and then.

When I got our new cat at the shelter I was surprised to learn that the

cats
available were injected and wormed, yes, but only the males were

neutered.
Females and males were the same price though. Strange isn't it?

Carola