Old November 7th 05, 07:54 AM
~^Johnny^~

Default Repellent: Methyl Nonyl Ketone?

On Mon, 24 Oct 2005 23:52:10 GMT, Juls wrote:

I'm getting ready to order one of those laser mice toys from Drs.
Foster and Smith (our Pet Smart is out of stock until the holidays) and
am tempted to order some of that spray cat repellent that contains
Methyl Nonyl Ketone.

I use herbal remedies. Especially effective is the dried flowers and
leaves of 'Salvia elegans', AKA "Pineapple sage". It grows well in
most zones, like s full/partial sun, tolerates misture and drought,
and is a memeber of the mint family. HOWEVER: one caveat: it cannot
be moved, once it is established, due to a deep taproot (unlike most
oterr mints). It must be propagated by seeds or cuttings, only.

Another less effective herb (also a member of the mint family) is
'Mentha pulegium', or pennyroyal. It is a strong insect repellant,
but not so strong for cats, and it can be toxic if ingested.

'Melissa officionales' (Lemon Balm), is also less effective than
Pineapple sage, but at least it is non-toxic, unlike pennyroyal.
And it does repel cats (unless planted next to 'Nepeta cataria'). g.

'Mentha piperita' (Peppermint), may also repel cats and dogs, and
essential oil of peppermint is quite safe (unlike that of pennyroyal).

Forget man-made keytones and other pesticides. They either don't
work, are hazardous, or are environmentally unsafe.

--
-john
wide-open at throttle dot info