Old August 18th 05, 04:40 AM
Karen

in article , jmcquown at
wrote on 8/17/05 10:27 PM:

Needless to say, you are correct. I don't know about other folks,
but my dog - Sampson (RB) - was an indoor dog; he only went out to
use the potty.

Jill

But you do mean you took him out for a walk regularly where he could
have a run off the lead now and again?

Tweed

I once had a house where I could let him run in the fenced yard for
a bit. When it snowed, I went out and dug a trench in the snow for
him to be able to poop and pee. Otherwise he never ran off the
leash. I walked with him... his lead extended to about 20 feet. I
have always lived too close to
a busy street to let him run off the lead. He lived 18 years so
apparently
I did something the right way

Jill

There is definitely a cultural difference between the USA and the UK
then. It would not be seen as acceptable in the UK for a dog never to
run off lead even if only at the weekend on a visit outside town.
A shelter here would not allow a dog adoption if it had to stay on a
lead all its life. They would rightly say you do not have the
facilities.

Tweed

I never lived anywhere a dog could run off a lead without encountering a
road and not be subject to being hit (by cars). My Sampson didn't seem to
mind being on a lead. He just peed and pooped and then we went back inside.
He curled up on the couch, chased the tennis ball and was otherwise a tiny
lap-dog

Jill

In Lincoln they have a special Dog park. It's a biiig area where people come
with their dogs and let them off to run that is all fenced in. It's right
down the street. It's extremely popular. I suspect that it is also a "great
place to meet guys/chicks". But people come in droves everyday. I was
wondering if other cities had such a place.