Old December 5th 11, 08:11 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

Default Catproof Office Chair?

MarcelHartsock wrote:
'Rhino[_3_ Wrote:
;785085'][crossposted from rec.pets.cats.community; that looked like
the right place
at first but now I'm not so sure....]

I'm looking at replacing my main office chair for my home office and
would
like to find a replacement made of materials that are cat-proof.

Just to be clear, I'm not looking for a chair that will _repel_ cats;
I'm
perfectly fine with them sleeping on that chair. I just want a chair
that
they won't destroy with their claws.

One of my cat often gets on my guest chair and digs his claws into
the seat;
it's pretty badly damaged. He also shredded the back of my previous
main

chair. He just loves to stretch up to the top of the chair back and
rake his
claws downward. (And yes, I have both a scratching post and a
scratching pad
nearby.)

There must be materials that they simply don't like and will leave
alone but
I'm not sure what to look for. It would really help me to find out
which

materials they will leave alone so that I can get a chair made
(mostly) of
that product.

Any suggestions? What has worked for you?

--
Rhino

I believe there is a spray on product that you can use to repel your
cats from coming near your equipments because they do not like the
smell of it. If I'm not mistaken it's bitter apple or citrus scent.

Back in the 40's and 50's, before they had some of these new space-age
materials, a good quality office chari was all hard wood, with the coushins
fitted with tie-ties at each corner. They were attached to the chair by
tying the little strings to the chair seat at all four corners. That way,
when the seats got ratty, you could change them without having to send the
whole chair out to be reupholstered. Strikes me that you could do a similar
thing with your chair. Even if it were a modern chair. Just put a removable
coushion on it with tie downs at each corner, and change them as necessary
to compensate for the cat damage.