Old October 27th 13, 12:55 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
buglady[_2_]

Default Question about skin cancer in white cats

On 10/26/2013 11:08 AM, wrote:
My white cat has developed a darkening of her nose (see other post). I'm told white cats are prone to skin cancer.

.................OK, I was wrong, not melanoma, probably white cats are
more prone to squamous cell carcinoma:
http://www.oncolink.org/experts/arti.../id/1238/c/102
http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/pet...ma-in-cats/652
http://www.petplace.com/cats/skin-ca...ats/page1.aspx
http://www.lbah.com/word/squamous-cell-carcinoma-scc/

...........I didn't stop to read all above links. I trust oncolink,
petplace and lbah as good websites. Unfortunately I'd already tossed
all the emails dealing with my neighbor's cancer cat.

I never let her outside but she does lay in a sunny window in the morning for hours. The window is a double,

with a storm window on the outside. Doesn't that block the dangerous
sun rays or could this be the problem?

.............. Unless treated, glass doesn't prevent all bad UV rays from
entering the house no matter how many layers there are. You can get
transparent window shades that block UV.

http://www.petmd.com/cat/conditions/...ma_skin?page=2
"...you might consider placing a window shade or reflector over the
glass to block UV rays."

http://www.skincancer.org/prevention...ds-in-your-car

This is just an example. I Googled window shades that block UV
http://www.northsolarscreen.com/html/koolvue.shtml

Good luck with your kitty.

buglady
take out the dog before replying