Old July 19th 16, 04:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
(PeteCresswell)

Default Cat gets on the counter top

Per MaryL:
Years ago, my sister "thought" she had succeeded in teaching her cat not
to get on the kitchen counter top. Then she glanced at the kitchen
window one day as she was returning home and saw her cat quickly jump
down from the counter. By the time she entered the house, her cat
approached her while stretching and yawning. It seems that her cat had
simply learned a way to trick her into *thinking* that my sister had
succeeded.

My impression has always been that dogs are capable of feeling guilt and
cats are not.

My wife thinks she has the cat trained to not get up on the kitchen
table, but actually she has it trained to not get up on the kitchen
table and to get off quickly when it hears somebody approaching.\

OTOH, a dog can be taught to do/not do things even when the owner is not
around - not accepting food from strangers, for instance.
--
Pete Cresswell