Old September 15th 13, 11:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
John Doe

Default Pet food recommendation

Dan Leifker daniel dleifker.com wrote:

The Doctor said:

I see Innova pet food has been recalled.

Yeah, that's kind of weird. Difficult to know. I like to stick with
popular brands to help ensure quality, or to at least avoid major
problems. But you never know.

What do you recommended to feed you cat?

Agree completely about rotating the food. I got the Oral Health
cat food, but my vet yelled at me for serving dry food all the
time. So I added water to the dry food for years. When the vet
found out, he yelled at me again. Turns out the Oral Health cat
food has these long fiber things that scrape across your cat's
teeth (sort of like using dental floss on humans by scraping it
over the teeth instead of between them), and adding water
completely ruined the ability of the fibers to scrape.

Right... Being dry allows it to work. I also use Oral Care,
sometimes a small amount as an after-meal treat.

But you can add water to other dry cat foods. Currently, my feral
gets moistened Purina Pro Plan. First, it is put into zipper style
sandwich bags. Then when the time comes, one half bag is poured
into a new bag and water is added. It has to soak for at least an
hour. And it is spooned from the new bag.

I started free feeding dry food to my male. He has almost doubled
in size. He doesn't seem really fat, but he's big. He's come a long
way from trying to live on bugs in the not-so-great outdoors.

Just make sure there is plenty of fresh water around.

I like the option of feeding either dry or wet. Almost any (high-
quality) dry food should allow that.