Old April 4th 05, 04:29 AM
MaryL

wrote in message
ups.com...
While I realize most small rescue groups do good work, my experience
with these groups and with shelters is that their rules for adoption
are indicative of people who are at their core distrustful towards
their fellow humans.

I filled out an extensive questionnaire and went through a personal
interview when I adopted Duffy. I was not insulted by this process.
Instead, I was delighted that they were taking such precautions to ensure
that he would not be "dumped" once again (as had already happened to him at
least once -- and probably twice -- before). I was approved on the spot,
but I had also brought names with me of people to use as references,
including the veterinarian I have used for many years. Their policy also
required me to sign the adoption papers and then wait 3 days to pick him up.
That, also, is good policy. Those 3 days gave their staff vet time to
examine Duffy and also ensured that I would not suddenly change my mind. It
was an hour round-trip each time, and some people would be annoyed and
refuse to do it. Those people should be rejected, and this is a way to look
for potential problems.

Some people think it is better to find "any" home rather than take a chance
of no adoption. I disagree. It is important to find a loving home with
someone who will really care for the cat or dog that is being considered.
Several years ago, I did home inspections (follow-ups) when I was on the
board of directors of the Humane Society. Most of the homes were excellent,
but I saw some situations that were literally worse than death. One person
had actually moved out of an apartment and left two cats inside without
notifying anyone. The apartment was not scheduled to be opend for several
weeks because tenants had vacated without leaving any notice, and the owner
did not know there were abandoned pets inside. Fortunately, a neighbor
noticed something amiss and notified the president of the Humane Society.
He, in turn, had to get a sheriff's deputy to accompany him with a court
order to open the apartment because they could not locate the owner and did
not want to take chances by delaying further. The apartment was in a
shambles and the cats were in pathetic condition (but were treated and later
adopted). This is the type of situation that the application process you
object to is meant to prevent. Quite frankly, anyone who did not have a vet
for his current cat or dog *should* be denied an adoption. People who work
at shelters are all-too-aware that lack of veterinary care for a
previous/current pet usually means that illness in an adopted pet will not
receive treatment. Those who work in shelters are not "rich biddies," as
you so nicely put it. They face the painful task of finding good homes or
looking at euthanasia (except for no-kill shelters, and they are forced to
limit the number of animals they accept) -- but they also know that lack of
screening often results in tragic end results for their shelter animals.

MaryL
(take out the litter to reply)

Photos of Duffy and Holly: 'o'
http://tinyurl.com/8y54 (Introducing Duffy to Holly)