Old August 30th 08, 06:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bobcat

Default Mooch waits his turn

On 29 Aug., 23:44, Bobcat wrote:
In the warm Canadian weather we share our front veranda with Mooch,

our resident stray. In the winter he sleeps there in a heated chair we
provide him and eats his meals. Today I was sitting on the veranda
listening to an audiobook, one of my favourite pastimes, staring off
into space. Eventually I looked down and there was Mooch. He was
patiently staring up at me, waiting to be fed.
"Sorry, Mooch, I didn't see you," I said to him, and went inside for
his food and water. I returned, set them down for him and sat in a
chair guarding him from food-thieves.
I thought, "We've come a long way together, little fellow. Three years
ago you'd have hidden under a chair until I'd gone back inside before
you'd eat. Now you come within two feet of me without fear. You'll
always be a free spirit, but now we've gained your trust. For me
that's worth its weight in gold!"

On Aug 30, 8:41 am, Bettina wrote:
This brought tears to my eyes. Thank you for being such a wonderful
human.
And excuse my emotional words.
Bettina

Many thanks Bettina, and of course I'll excuse your expression of
emotion. I feel the same way when I sit and watch Mooch having one of
his many meals on the veranda only a few feet from me. For me the
emotion I feel is a sense of deep gratitude for Mooch's confidence in
me - a small, vulnerable creature like himwho's surviving in a
dangerous city, and the wonder of animals.