Old June 10th 08, 12:31 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
-Lost

Default Declawed cat vs. Non-declawed cat. Should I worry?

Response to "cshenk" :

Declawed cat vs. Non-declawed cat. Should I worry?

Not really. Done it myself (rescued 2 de-clawed cats).

Another vote helps. I was just commenting how it still seems a
bit savage at times, but I am listening to the majority vote.

It works. But one thing is disturbing me in multiple threads
here. See, you really need to pay attention to the nature of the
cat. Sometimes, you really can't get a cat to adjust to another
cat. Pretending otherwise 'aint gonna cut it'.

Dont give up too soon, but if after 3 months you still have to
lock one of them up, it's not a good sign.

I hate to say it but at that satge, it's time to find a new home
for the offender (or the new one, depends).

I TOTALLY agree. I just had not decided on a suitable time frame --
3 months sounds about right.

This is the 4th day (I think) that they have been out together, and
while still crazy as hell I think the 90/10% ratio of frenzy/sleep is
more like 75/25 now.

snip

Some cats are very terratorial. This tends to be reinforced
strongly if they have a somewhat feral background (read:
Abandoned for a significant period of time).

Gabby still has this temperament occasionally where I call him an
"ape-**** ninja-baboon." He gets this weird look in his eyes, they
twitch constantly, and his back ripples wildly.

We carpeted the walls and ceiling of the entire hallway -- when he
gets in that mood he will run up the wall and leap off onto
passerby's.

This includes EVERYONE. My mother, my daughters, the spouse, the
puppies, the ferrets, the rabbit, and the pig.

No catnip involved, no roughhousing, no nothing -- just look over and
he is going crazy.

It's really funny to watch until you are the one he pounces on.

The dog "group" shredded me to pieces over various reasons, but
I have to ask...

That 'dog group' is probably the one I left. Very rude people,
very much a 'click'. Not at all helpful, unlike folks here.

Sounds like it. A bunch of harpies I tell ya'. More worried
about correcting my grammar than addressing the nonsense my
puppies were going through at the time.

Yeah, they got upset at me because I mentioned a neighbor who does
a little small time breeding on the side. Nothing I said could
get it through their thick heads that these folks were not a puppy
farm of the worst sort. They seem to believe only in large scale
breeders and breeding a dog once only in her life. They disagree
with folks who use SPCA and sites like that for information. Got
a *huge* load of extremely bad and actually dangerous 'advice'
there but fortunately my vet reads there quietly and said I was
right to question them and to keep to my stance of following the
vet and educating myself on reputable pages.

Yep, heard that same story before. Breeders == EVIL. Period.

They were telling me to feed an obviously underweight dog 1/4 cup
twice a day. This for a 50lb dog who's bottom 8 ribs were *very*
obviously countable when standing up. Cash is doing fine, and is
now bulking out well with muscles at 55lbs. He gets 1 cup in
morning, and 1 in evening. Because he's a mixed breed (vet's
guess is beagle and bull mastiff) he isnt pure anything but fun
g. Just like humans with a higher muscle ratio, he eats more to
maintain that.

snip

They continually told me to seek a vet's advice. That was about it.
I told them I was not an idiot, I had already done that.

That was my 2nd mistake. 1st mistake was going there in the first
place.

Grin, nuff on my dog and back to kitties Grin.

Don't feel bad. My house is a barnyard and like in this post, I am
liable to talk about everyone at least once in a while.

snip

I was laughing so hard! I almost couldnt pick up Thom to get him
off Roscoe without peeing on the carpet. Poor Roscoe! Just
looking miffed and smushed, scrabbling to get out from under that
big fat ass... Face charged in to rescue Roscoe a moment later
and he dropped his chest right on her, pinning her down too.

Ok, I admit it. I peed on the carpet at that point. It was the
*perfect* come-uppance!

ROFLMAO!!

After 4 children, I feel your pain. To boot, I have a seriously
funny spouse and even funnier critters. The result? I own a lot of
undergarments for midday changings.

--
-Lost
kidding. No I am not.