Old March 1st 09, 06:05 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL

Default Tigger back to vet

"Jofirey" wrote in message

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"CatNipped" wrote in message
"AlisonT" wrote in message
, the
second-guessing - even after all this time I wonder to myself if I cut
Bandit's life too short or waited too long and caused her to suffer.
Some people will tell you that she'll let you know, and I envy them that
surety, but I never knew it. Looking back logically with my head and
not my heart, I know it was time to let her go - but my heart denies
what my head tells me.

I have always known when it was time, it's when I know they don't want to
go on. I cannot explain how I know, but I do.
I will leave you with this thought.
Better a day too early than a day too late.
Tweed

You know we always tell each other on this group that you will know when
it is time, or they will tell you when its time. And we try very hard not
to second guess anyone who is already dealing with a heartbreaking
decision.

But while sometimes it is very clear, they just look at you and you know,
sometime it isn't that clear.

All I can say when its like that, use your best judgment of how much life
still has to offer them, rely on you vets advice if you trust their
judgment more than your own, and try not to beat yourself up. Remember for
the most part our fur kids do not judge, and are quick to forgive. We
learn from them to be kind to ourselves and to others.

Jo

That is also my opinion. I have never felt that one of my furbabies "told"
me when it was time to go. I had to make the decision in their best
interests, and it was devastating but necessary--a final gift of love, after
much soul searching, veterinary consultations, and everything I knew to do
to help them. But in the end, it came down to me deciding what I had to do
*for* them, and I never could see that one was "telling" me that it was
"time." I also agree with Tweed, who said "better a day too early than a
day too late." I have had friends who waited far too long (and recognized
it themselves, after the fact). That placed their loving companions in a
period of intense suffering with no chance of recovery or even a "tolerable"
life.

MaryL