Old February 17th 05, 07:39 PM
mlbriggs

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 19:22:32 +0000, Ginger-lyn Summer wrote:

I know how to do this. I've done this before, with a friend's cat,
for a week. But that wasn't *my* cat. And I had help then. Now I'm
alone.

So where to do this? The vet suggested a card table. Okay, I have
one. And I have a doorway that already has hooks in it that I can
hang the bag on. Sounds like we're set.

But the table won't fit in the doorway. And the hook's pretty sharp,
and I'm afraid it will tear the bag.

Hmmm, there's a big chair, with a fuzzy bathrobe they like to lay on,
and it's near the hooks. Let's just pull that over and try it that
way.

Here, Cosmo! Come get your treatment!

Yeah. Right.

I manage to get him on the chair, having hung up "the works". Now I
have to remember how to put the needle in. After I look at it, it's
obvious, but in the process, I drop one part of the plastic container
the needle came in. Oh, well, I'll find it later.

Putting the needle in is the scariest part. What if I hurt him? What
if I accidentally puncture something? Arggggh! I know I can do this,
I know I can do this. I get the needle in. And it comes right back
out. Grrrrr. I get it in again, better this time.

Cosmo is being amazingly good.

Then I realize I don't remember *how to turn on the fluids*! Oops! I
have one hand on Cosmo to keep him from moving, and I can't reach the
phone book, even though I'm right next to the phone. Somehow, Cosmo
stays still in the split second it takes me to go grab the phone book.

I call the vet's office and Chad (who is an incredibly sweet, gentle
assistant) tells me it's the little knobby thing that goes up and
down. Ah, okay! I've actually had it on all right the entire time
and just didn't know it.

I'm practically underneath the bag, and can't really see it very well,
so I have to guess when he's had enough. I'm also watching Cosmo, to
see when *he's* had enough. He's getting edgy, and I think it's time,
so I turn off the flow and take the needle out, which elicits a short
cry from him. I almost cried, thinking I hurt my poor Cosmo.

I take the bag down, and amazingly, I had managed to give him just the
right amount.

Got out the treats, and Cosmo (and the other cats -- can't leave them
out!) had a field day with some treats.

Then I go shake for several hours and play Bubbels.

I am NOT looking forward to doing this again.

Ginger-lyn

Don't you just hate those "shakes"? MLB