Old October 28th 04, 06:57 PM
KellyH

The primary objective of our mission is to provide life-long care to
unwanted and abandoned domestic animals, and when possible find them
new forever homes. Our adoption policy is strict. We make sure that
any animal which leaves our shelter is moving on to a lifetime of love
and care. If our policies deter someone, and they instead adopt from a
"Kill" shelter, I'm pleased that an animal has been spared unnecessary
euthanasia.

So you are not a shelter, with a focus of rehoming animals. You are a
sanctuary. Again, I ask, why should a highly adoptable animal have to live
in a sanctuary? IMHO, sanctuaries are for animals that have absolutely no
other chance of having a forever home.
Our shelter also has fairly strict guidelines, and we see about 3-4
adoptions a week, sometimes more. We also readily publish where we are
located so people can f'n VISIT the shelter. Yes, we do get dumped animals
sometimes. But you know what? I'm glad that people at least knew where we
were and didn't take them to the municipal shelter or drown them in the
river or something.

At The Last Resort, cats and bunnies enjoy a cage-free life. Because
of this, surrenders are required to provide proof of spay/neuter,
vaccines, etc., and must give a surrender fee of at least $50.
Considering it costs any shelter an average of $700 per year to
support one animal, I think our fee is a bargain.

What about the cats and bunnies that do not meet your criteria, or do not
come with a handy $50? How does it cost $700/ year to support an animal
that comes in fully vetted? At the shelter I'm with, we give priority to
the stray cat who's not spayed/neutered and probably never seen a vet
before, whether they come in with a donation or not. We look at it like
this: by taking that intact cat off the streets, we saved that cat and any
babies it may have produced. The owner turn-in who needs a new home because
baby developed allergies or whatever can wait. We can work with them to
keep the cat to a confined area until we have room, or some other solution.

Look, just about everyone who regularly participates on this newsgroup is
either a volunteer or paid staffer at a shelter, or has a shelter they know
and trust with their donations. You can't come on here and post, expecting
an outpouring of support and money without people being suspicious.
--
-Kelly
kelly at farringtons dot net