Old September 5th 03, 03:38 PM
Victor M. Martinez

JHBennett wrote:
Hmmmmm........ Without the human animal to provide *foods* other than meat,
I'd argue not. Not picking a fight, but I see much the same parallel with

Dogs will eat anything they can put in their mouths. Furthermore, they can
survive just fine on a vegetarian diet. Cats are obligate carnivores, which
means they MUST eat meat to survive, since they don't naturally produce all
the necessary aminoacids/proteins they need.

consistent or which makes sense. I suppose it isn't essential that I know
THE definitive answer, but I am curious. --JB

A great resource for cat nutrition is in Max's page:
http://www.maxshouse.com/feline_nutrition.htm

day (sometimes 2 cans, depending on whether they show up for roll call),
they doing alright, or should I/we be concerned about feeding dry food?

It is better to feed wet food. The worse canned food is better than the best
dry food.

On a somewhat tangient matter, considering dry cat food, I sense there
is an argument to be made that cats are no more carnivors than dogs. My

Nope. Cats cannot survive on a vegetarian diet, dogs can.

system, particularly with older dogs. He illustrated his point by relating
how someone had given their pet a chunk of fat from a steak, about a 1/2"
cube, which induced a pancreas attack, leading to the dogs death in less
than an hour, despite his every effort to save it. --JB

How exactly does fat produce a "pancreas attack" (is that like a heart
attack? sounds bogus to me)????

Cheers.

--
Victor M. Martinez