Old June 8th 07, 03:05 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.cats.misc
vjc

Default What should I do when my cat does this?

"Garret Swayne" wrote in message
nk.net...
Wow, thanks Cheryl for sending the video link! After watching it, I
believe that's exactly what my Zacky is doing. I think he has asthma. He
doesn't get these fits often, but every now and then. I should take him
to a vet to have him checked out. Thanks again...
-Garret

"Cheryl" wrote in message
On Fri 01 Jun 2007 10:14:12a, Garret Swayne wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
thlink.net:

You know how sometimes cats get into a respiratory spasming
thing like they're trying to clear something from their throat
(a hairball or something??) I don't know what to call it. It's
very rhythmic, and it appears to be involuntary, like they're
choking on something and they're trying to expel it. Every cat
I've ever had goes through this from time to time. They're
obviously in distress. I want to help and I'm thinking maybe I
should slap them on the back to help "dislodge" anything that's
stuck there, but I don't know if that would help or hurt. I'd
love to know what's going on and what I can do about it, but it
never occurred to me until now to go online to a cat interest
group and ask! So I'm asking. Does anyone know what that
spasming is called, what causes it, and what we humans can do to
help our little furry friends get over their episode?
-Garret Swayne
garret at garretswayne dot com

Garret, this can be an asthma attack. Please have your cat seen by
the vet. Here's a video of an asthma attack and while it looks
like a cat horking up a hairball, watch the neck sticking out as if
trying to straighten the windpipe to get air to breathe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kG5vBaT21_c

--
Cheryl

Hi:

My cat does the same thing. She gets shot of Depo/methylprednisolone about
every three months. The vet says it's an allergy.

vince