Old July 12th 08, 11:38 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default Now that most of the shock has worn off....

Kreisleriana wrote:
wrote in message
Kreisleriana wrote:

The most important bullet point was this one, IMO:
"Don't disclose. You don't have to disclose lifestyle choices or
off-the-clock activities unless there is a clear link to your
ability to perform the job, Secunda said."

Ah yes - Don't Ask Don't Tell. This is saying "stay in your closet".
I don't agree with this. There is a risk in coming out (whatever you
are coming out about), but for a lot of people, those risks are
necessary. So let's not go overboard about telling people they have
to shut up about who they are. I just think people should be
informed about the risk, and understand the reality, so they can
decide whether it's worth it to them to be open about themselves.

I wasn't saying this from the point of view of self-censorship. I was
saying this from the point of view that I simply don't believe that an
employer has the right to ask certain questions of its employees, or
of its potential employees. To me, this borders on them wanting to
own me and my entire life. Work is not life. Work is an economic
exchange of time, services and money. My employers do not own me
when I go home. They do not have the right to dictate my behavior on
my own time.

This is so true! I remember when personal questions weren't verboten in the
interview process. My first "real" job (unless you count the ice cream
parlor/burger joint, which I don't) the interviewer asked whether or not I
had a boyfriend. Then he said, "Are you planning to have children? Because
I'm not going to hire someone who is going to go out on maternity leave in
the next year." These days they can't legally ask you something like that.
At the time, I simply informed him I had no intention of having children,
ever. But really, it was none of his business, any more than it was his
business if I was a high-class call girl on weekends. LOL

Jill