Old August 4th 08, 09:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Will in New Haven

Default OT - WARNING POLITICAL & AW (Human)

On Aug 4, 3:33*pm, Daniel Mahoney wrote:
On Mon, 04 Aug 2008 14:15:23 -0500, CatNipped wrote:
This case hits rather close to home and I was wondering if it were possible
for us to discuss this rationally. *I can sort of see both sides of the
issue.

I can too, kind of. I used to support the death penalty in cases of
extreme wanton violence, and this would qualify. In recent years, though,
I've come to rethink that and now believe that no human being has the
right to determine the life or death of another.

i'm not gung-ho in favor of the death penalty. In general, I'm against
it. But I don't see two sides to this issue. I see two little girls. I
don't think the state of Texas should execute this guy but I wouldn't
lift a finger to help him. If someone killed him and I were on the
jury, I would vote to acquit.

However, I think the biggest point here is the one make by Senator Ellis.
The US cannot thumb it's nose at the rest of the world with impunity. If
the US chooses to ignore the findings of the World Court, then other
countries would be justified in ignoring World Court findings regarding
US citizens. To assert that we need not be concerned with the findings of
extra-territorial legislative bodies is to make those same bodies unable
to protect US citizens.

Besides, regardless of whether the killer informed the cops that he was a
Mexican national at the time of his arrest, that does have a bearing and
he was entitled to speak with a Mexican consular officer. That warrants
at the least a retrial.

"At least a retrial." You are saying that under some circumstances he
should get _better_ than a retrial? That he might get to walk? I am
not against allowing him contact with his consular officer and a
retrial. I actually have plenty of confidence in Mexico not to have
much sympathy for a rapist and child-murderer. _Unless_ there is some
question about his actually _having done it_, I think his friendly
consular official would say "Fry, you *******. You have besmirched the
honor of your nation."

Ignoring the court that hears Geneva Convention cases? The very thought
makes me shudder.

I don't recognize any sovereignty but that of the individual and the
U.S. federal government. I thought Texas sovereignty was settled in
1865. Still, any option where this guy goes free sticks in my craw.

--
Will in New Haven