Old August 12th 03, 08:21 AM
MaryL

wrote in message

Oh, and I think I might have found a home for Lambchop!!! I put an ad
on Petfinders and a guy in my area responded. He has AIDS and is alone
and lonely a lot, and wants a pet.

One thing that concerns me is, what happens when he dies? I know
people can live a long time with AIDS, but Lambchop's only one year
old, so there's a good chance she'll outlive him. One thing I plan to
say to him is that if he's unhappy with her for any reason, I will
take her back. I don't want her to be brought to a shelter and
euthanized because he doesn't like her. But I'm not sure how to bring
up the subject of what his plans are for her, in case he dies before
she does. He seems like a very nice, sincere guy, but I'm not sure
if he's thought this whole thing through. It's kind of a delicate
question to ask a perfect stranger, though! Any suggestions?

Joyce

I think it would be perfectly appropriate to ask him to include provisions
for the care of his new cat if anything were to happen to him. I have made
provisions for my cats even though I am healthy because none of us can be
sure of how long we will live. I felt as if a huge burden had been lifted
from my shoulders when I knew that my cats would be cared for if something
happned to me. In my case, my sister and I have each agreed to insure that
the other's cats will have a good home. The man you are talking about may
already have given a lot of thought to this situation. He may have friends
or relatives who would be willing to enter into such an agreement. His own
health is particularly vulnerable, so this idea will not come as a surprise
to him.

MaryL